Forum Discussion

coxinva2012
New Contributor
10 years ago

App for a remote control

Hi Forum,

How is one able to use the Cox app for the remote control on their phone, and have it control my tv? A friend was over to my house, my remote wasn't working, I stepped out of the room for a few minutes, when I came back he was using his android phone as a remote controller to change the channels on my tv!  He said it is a Cox app. that allows him to do so. I asked him if he could also tell what programs we had been watching. He said No, but I felt like he tapped my tv. How is he able to do this with an app on his phone? He has no access to my Cox account.  

Thanks!

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    AllenP
    Valued Contributor

My guess is your friend has a phone with built in or blaster such as the Samsung S4 or S5.  The ir blaster allows the phone to function as a universal remote, not hack your account.

ReneeG
    Former Moderator
    Hi coxinva2012,

It sounds like your friend was using an Android app for his phone and not a Cox App. The Cox TV Connect App allows you to watch TV programming in real time from your mobile device or computer while connected to the Cox network from your home. This app is available to Windows Desktops & Laptops, Mac Desktops & Laptops, Apple devices, and Android devices. I hope this information helps.