Forum Discussion

Bruce_T
New Contributor
11 years ago

Energy consumption of Cox Contour boxes

When the power is off, my existing Motorola box consume around 15 watts (it's been a while so I'm not sure of the exact wattage I measured some time ago).   What are the wattages of the Contour boxes (I believe they are Cisco?) for both OFF and ON modes (which are probably similar).  I'm trying to decide if I should go with Contour.

Thank you 

Bruce

Irvine, California

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    KipK
    Valued Contributor II

This will be sort of a long answer. Cisco spec sheets that I've found so far only list peak power, so we have to go to the Energy Star listings for average in-use and standby power. So here's the list as I have it.

Host DVRs:
    8642HDC: Peak power (spec sheet): 50W  Avg. in-use power (Energy Star listing): 27.6W  Standby power (Energy Star listing): 21.6W
    8742HDC: Peak power (spec sheet): 35W  Avg. in-use power (Energy Star listing): 23W  Standby power (Energy Star listing): 18.3W
    9865HDC: Peak power (spec sheet): 35W  Avg. in-use power (Energy Star listing): 27W  Standby power (Energy Star listing): 21.7W

Client receivers:
    1642HDC: Peak power (spec sheet): 50W  (No Energy Star listing found)
    4642HDC: Peak power (spec sheet): 50W  Avg. in-use power (Energy Star listing): 17.5W  Standby power (Energy Star listing): 13.8W
    4742HDC: Peak power (spec sheet): 50W  Avg. in-use power (Energy Star listing): 17W  Standby power (Energy Star listing): 13.9W

Hope this helps! 

Bruce_T
    New Contributor

Thanks Kip...Great info.  Wow, that is a lot of power in Standby mode.  A shame they can't put it in an energy sipper mode when nothing is really happening which is most of the time.  Really disappointed that Cisco couldn't figure out how to drop it down to only a few Watts when it's only checking for a signal to wake up.

Thanks again,
         Bruce
    KipK
    Valued Contributor II

Keep in mind that the listing for "peak" power is the rating of the power supply unit, which is a fixed number, and the "standby" power is necessarily higher in the Contour/Trio units than in a less advanced DVR. They maintain a higher level of activity when "off" than their Motorola and Cisco predecessors running Rovi software due to the MoCA network for whole-home DVR, and IP communication for the Contour apps.

Also, I'm not sure what testing method you're using, and the latest listings don't include any Motorola DVRs we use, but we can find the most advanced Motorola DVR we carry on the older Energy Star combined spreadsheet using the Internet archive. The DCX3400-M is listed there as 28.37W power-on, 23.35W standby.