Forum Discussion

Debbie_Thew
New Contributor
3 years ago

Remote Hangs Up

I have successfully paired my Cox remote to my Sony (non-smart) TV - everything works including, changes, volume, guide, input, etc.; however, when I try to use the voice control, it comes up with a screen that says I have to pair the remote.  Okay - easy enough.  I get to the screen where it tells me to enter the code and I do but then it freezes. I push the "OK" button but nothing happens.  I press "exit" and a screen comes up that asks me if I want to skip pairing, which is the only thing I can do .. so the voice control still does not work.  I've tried unpairing the remote and then repairing ... nothing seems to change. 

I have 2 other boxes in the house - when I am trying to pair the one I'm working on, sometimes the code pops up on the other TV as well.  I did unpair the remote from that other tv, but then it happens again.  Any suggestions?

11 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Why is your Sony unsmart?  "Smart" only means it has access to the Internet.

Debbie_Thew
      New Contributor

That's why - it's old and does not have wireless capability.

I believe the issue is pairing the remote to the Contour box ... or at least for the voice control.  Everything else seems to work on the TV.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Is Voice enabled?

Contour button > Settings (gear icon) > Remote Settings > Voice Remote Pairing

A LAN port (wired) on the Sony would also make it Smart.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Because you're pressing the CONTOUR button, I'll assume you have either the XR11 or XR5:

1.  Point remote at receiver
    2.  Press VOICE button
    3.  Press & Hold SETUP button
    4.  LED:  green
    5.  Press CONTOUR button
    6.  LED:  flashes
    7.  Press CONTOUR button (again, again, again) until Instructions display*
    8.  Enter 3-digit code

*As far as the upstairs code also displaying on the downstairs box, Cox noted the following on the page:

"The remote may attempt to pair with other compatible receivers within 50 feet.  Each press of the Contour (Menu) button tells the remote to change receivers."

I believe each press of the CONTOUR (again, again, again) selects the intended box (within 50 feet) you're attempting to pair.

Debbie_Thew
      New Contributor

Thank you.  How do I know when the remote has found the correct box as I keep pressing "Contour"?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

As you press the Contour button, the Instructions and Code will appear on the TV screen.  I haven't see this because I have only 1 box.