Forum Discussion

P-cola
New Contributor
4 years ago

SD vs HD channels difference?

Is there still a difference between the regular channel numbers (ex. 03, 10, 38) and the 1000 series channels (ex. 1003, 1010, 1038)?  I know that the regular channels used to be sd and the 1000 channels were hd...  but I don't see any difference between them anymore.  FYI...  I live in Pensacola, FL.

3 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

HD would be widescreen.  You can verify the format of the <1000 channels in the Program Guide.  Look for the HD logo.

As to your question...is there a difference between what's on each channel...probably not.

P-cola
      New Contributor

Thank you for your response.  However, I think that I have just figured it out.  Apparently there is an auto-tune feature that automatically switches the <1000 sd channels to the equivalent hd channel.  I had no idea before.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

There are duplicate channels.  For example, if you enter "3" on the remote, Contour will go to channel 3, which is HD.  If you press "1003," Contour will go to the same HD channel, albeit channel 1003.  It's the same channel and program.

I think the secret is in the Guide button.  If you press the Guide button twice, you'll get view options.  If you choose "All Channels," you'll get a sequential list of all SD and HD channels to include...from my example...channels 3 and 1003.  If a channel is only SD, you'll see this SD channel in the list.

There are other options to view only HD Channels, My Favorite Channels, Free to Me, etc.