Forum Discussion

Dxbdragon
New Contributor
4 years ago

Recording conflict

I want to record a show that is in conflict with two other shows I record. This show is on again one hour later. I try to record the later version but the record menu will only let me record new episodes or all new and other episodes. I've tried both ways but it always shows a conflict symbol.Advice please Any ideas or advice is appreciated.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    cablec
    New Contributor

Check that the show ends on the hour, (not 3:02 for example), that will give conflict error.  From guide press OK to get to the screen you are describing, then use down arrow to hi lite the new show.  press side way arrows to change new to all episodes and down again if needed for record padding

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

The conflict symbol you mentioned may simply be an indicator that there's a conflict with a first run time for the selected program.  It should still allow repeat recordings at a later time if you select "First run & repeats" or "All episodes" (depending on your type of Contour receiver).

Option 1: Select "First run only" or "New episodes only" for two of the three programs and select "First run & repeats" or "All episodes" for the third.  Make sure the third program has the lowest recording priority.  This will allow the first two programs to record at their first run times.  The third program will fail to record at it's first run time, but should record at it's repeat time.  When selecting the program to record at it's repeat time, be sure to select a program that repeats and at a time when there won't be a conflict with other scheduled recordings. 

Option 2: Manually schedule a recording of the third program.

Option 3: Upgrade to Preferred (Record 6) DVR Service for $7.00 more per month and eliminate the conflict.

bearone2
      Contributor III

the record 6 dvr still has conflicts if you don't check 1st run times vs recording an individual program!

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III
        I want to record a show that is in conflict with two other shows I record. This show is on again one hour later. I try to record the later version but the record menu will only let me record new episodes or all new and other episodes. I've tried both ways but it always shows a conflict symbol.Advice please Any ideas or advice is appreciated.
        the record 6 dvr still has conflicts if you don't check 1st run times vs recording an individual program!

A painstaking analysis was performed to decipher the meaning of the above cryptic bit of phrasing.

Translation:

A Record 6 DVR will have scheduling conflicts if you don't compare the times when the first broadcast of recurring scheduled programs are to be recorded to the times when individual programs are to be recorded!  (The exclamation mark would seem to indicate this is a rather important step).

Apparently it doesn't matter how many recordings are to occur at the same time.  If you don't do the comparison, you're going to have scheduling conflicts.  Does that mean you won't have scheduling conflicts when you do the comparison?  What if you have more than six programs set to record?  Not to worry.  If you compare the recording times, you'll be okay.  

Now for some reality.  A Record 6 DVR can record both recurring scheduled programs and individual recordings at the same time without any conflict when no more than six programs in total are to be recorded (five if you're also watching live TV).  But, all that's irrelevant to my first post.

The OP's post asked for any ideas or advice on how to record a third program that conflicts with two other programs he records.  Other, individual recordings weren't included in the scope of his post.  My post provided three options how to do what he asked.  Option 3 was upgrade to Preferred (Record 6) DVR Service which would accomplish what he wanted to do, with no scheduling conflict.