Forum Discussion

OscarTheGrouch
New Contributor
8 years ago

HDHomerun Prime to PS3 - Data type is not supported

Hey all,

Anyone else use a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime to stream DRM'd content to multiple TVs with a Playstation 3 with DTCP-IP enabled? This has been working great for a few months, but recently an annoyance has cropped up that I am wondering if anyone else is seeing.

While watching FX HD or ESPN HD, during commercial breaks - usually the 5th or 6th commercial will cause the PS3 to display the error message: "the data type is not supported". The only option I have is to click the O-Back button, where the channel image and text are replaced with "Unsupported Data". I can then click the X-Select button to re-tune the channel once the commercial break is over.. .It will then stream fine until the 5th or 6th commercial in the next commercial break.

When tuning the lesser quality SD version of FX or ESPN channels at the lower number, I will get the following error message at the same point - "this content cannot be played (800288d8)". Again, this error will continue to be displayed when I hit the X-Select to re-tune the channel until the commercial break is over and regular programming has returned.

This happens on three different PS3 units, all running 4.80 firmware.

The HDHomerun Prime and PS3s are all configured on a 1Gbps switched network. I am receiving no Ethernet errors, disconnects or dropped packets. The HDHomerun shows the Tuner at 100% and excellent signal quality.

I have had SiliconDust engineering look a the Debug Logs and they claim that they are not detecting any faults with the DLNA and DTCP-IP encapsulation of the stream. They believe that Cox must be changing the format of local commercial slots, causing the PS3 to freak out. Also note that I was able to play the exact same content in Windows Media Center without error.

Is anyone else using a PS3 to view protected content delivered from a HDHR? Is anyone using HDHR's Android VIEW app to view DRM'd content; Any errors?

Thanks!

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

From what I googled, the error has something to do with close captioning. Also a possible bug with people using Macs. 

Also, have you tried viewing direct to the HDHomerun prime to see if the source is good? 

• Tecknohelp,

Thanks for your reply. Since the HDHomerun does not have a HDMI output and only supports DLNA clients, I have only been able to test output to three different PS3 units and a single Windows 7 running Windows Media Center. I do not own a Mac, nor do I believe it supports DRM content with the VIEW client for the Mac. As far as I understand, DRM content is only supported via WMC and PS3 with DTCP-IP enabled (and the beta version of the Android VIEW client). Unfortunately, in the Cleveland area, Cox has decided to DRM nearly every channel except for few, like BRAVO. I have looked at the Tuner stats while streaming via the HDHR Tuner Summary web page and everything is rock-solid - 100% signal.

Other HD channels, such as CNN HD never experience this issue, so it is not an HD problem. I honestly do not know if the PS3 even supports Closed Captioning - I will see if there is a way to enable it and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

OscarTheGrouch said:
    does not have a HDMI output and only supports DLNA clients,

Oops. Was thinking of something else. Maybe someone with a unit will chime in. Good luck

• Update - When using the Cox supplied DVR with HDMI through an Onkyo HTS7700 receiver, I have found that during commercial breaks the Onkyo receiver will make an audible click and change to a different audio format. I have not determined exactly what the transition is, but I suspect it is switching between AAC and AC-3 audio formats. It appears that the PS3 does not support the audio encoding of the commercials which Cox is inserting into the local commercial slots.

Will post more info as I determine the exact audio transition which causes this error to be displayed.

• We'd be very interested in hearing what you find.  

Stephanie S. 
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • StephanieS,

After doing a bit of research, here are my preliminary findings:

Using Windows Media Center - (Debug - 411-More Info mode) I found the following variations...

ESPN HD (non-DRM) channel #1025, programming is streaming with the following Audio:

Audio Codec: Dolby
    No. of Channels: 6
    Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
    Dual Mono: No
    Bit Rate: 448000
    Decoder Output: PCM Stereo Matrix Encoded

During the commercial break, the 5th and 6th commercials switched to the following:

No. of Channels: 2
    Bit Rate: 192000

I do not fully understand how Multichannel Linear PCM can wrap both DTS 5.1 and Linear PCM 2.0 in a single stream, but it appears that the meta data still stated thatthe DTS 5.1 audio is contained, when the commercial only contains the PCM 2.0 content. Ironically, the commercial that caused the problem was a COX On Demand commercial.

I will also try to capture the FX HD (#1021) differences once I get a chance to connect up an HDMI monitor to my laptop.

• Hi Oscar,

It's possible that the local commercial slots contain audio encoding that the PS3 doesn't support. Re-tuning the channel may be the only work-around.