Forum Discussion

Tominphoenixaz
New Contributor
2 years ago

Are you ever going to do anything about spoofed scam calls?

When I get scam or telemarketer calls from a real number I can block them or forward them to an extra number that I never use for anything other than scam callers.  They get to listen to an annoying 3 minute long voicemail message that very few stay on the phone long enough to leave a voicemail for me.  But with spoofed numbers it does no good because they never call back from that same number again anyways.  

While I like the convenience of a landline phone, I am reaching a point of just cancelling it so I don't have to hear my phone ring 8 times a day from some scammer saying my social security number has been compromised and they are coming to arrest me unless I pay them with gift cards over the phone.  It is obviously a scam, but I can't stop them from calling through because they never call from the same phone number twice.  And if I call their number back it is either a number that does not exist or it is some innocent person that has no idea what I am talking about because they did not call me from that number.

And nomorobo is a big flop.  I have it and it catches maybe one or two scam calls per day, but about 90% of scam calls are never detected by it with its simultaneous ring.  

If you want people to keep paying you for your landline phone service you had better get serious about stopping spoofed numbers from calling us.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    DavidA2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Tominphoenix,

I can certainly understand your concern and I will gladly provide your feedback to our leadership team.

David
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

After the Do Not Call Registry, Nomorobo, STIR/SHAKEN and Cox's pathetic 30-number limit on Selective Call Rejection...I think the morons have given up.  How does (000) 000-0000 elude a technology company?

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

The Selective Call Rejection limit is actually 25 numbers.  Voice Tools provides the ability to selectively forward a few more numbers (not sure how many).  Before SCR, I used to forward calls received from selected spam numbers to the most annoying spam caller.

Vsparky
    New Contributor

Cox isn't going to do anything about it until it costs THEM more money to do nothing than to fix it.  Spoofed numbers should not be allowed to ring on my phone.  When the caller ID shows IRS, and someone is fooled into some scam and sends end a thief $5000, there should be a lawsuit against Cox for aiding and abetting these criminals that are stealing, often from our elderly. And the victim should get at least 5 times the amount that they were conned out of.

There is a way to restrict a phone network to ligit businesses. It would likely be expensive, but it will only happen if there is a way to cost them a lot of money for not fixing it.

Maybe Biden should fine them for every spoofed number that rings on a home phone. That would be a good start.  But I think paying the victim of fraud perpetrated against them WITH the assistance of the phone company , by the phone company would be a more appropriate penalty

Vsparky
    New Contributor

Btw Costco has AT&T DL72210 DECT 6.0 2 Handset Answering System with Connect to CellI tem   1468888 Model  DL72210 for $44.99 and it can store 1000 blocked numbers, Panasonic has one that stores 1000 also.