Forum Discussion

JSACKS
New Contributor
8 years ago

Help! I can hear them but they can't hear me !

Starting at about the time we changed our COX router-modem about 2 months ago, we have been experiencing issues with our home phone system.  Often when I am talking to somebody, they suddenly can't hear me, but I can hear them.  I called my aunt in Montreal 4 times this evening because on the first 3 attempts, she could suddenly no longer hear me.  Sometimes, the party on the other end cannot hear me from the moment they pick up or I pick up (if I am called).  This strange affair has happened on numerous domestic U.S. calls in the past couple of months.

I called COX tech support about this a month ago, and they walked me through a huge time consuming exercise of testing every single phone (I have a Panasonic KX system) in my home, plugging stuff in and out, etc.  Nothing new disclosed or revealed.  Took an hour to do, and eventually, the COX folks could no longer hear me, and that was the end of that call !

I have changed the "line mode" of the system as well in case that might help.  Initially, I thought it did help but not any more. 

I changed the batteries on every single phone.  No difference.

I have never experienced this kind of bizarre phone failure in my life. Our internet works great with the new router which is a dual channel affair and much better than our previous CISCO router.  But this internet powered phone service is hopelessly unreliable now. 

I have no idea what to do about this.  Any ideas welcome.  Thanks!

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • The best thing I know to tell you is to get a good old analog phone, put it on a splitter out of the modem, and next time audio fails, while on the call, pick the analog phone up and see if it makes a difference.  That should exonerate the Panasonic or Cox. 

Meri_F
    New Contributor

I'm having the same problem!  

I started with Cox on 07/14/15 when I moved to RI, and bought a new wireless phone set shortly thereafter.  All was fine until a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the phone cutting out as JSACKS described.    It happens on both handsets of the cordless system, and I did try an analog phone as suggested by dhw1949.  Same problem. 

I live in a manufactured home, so I'm not even sure if I have an outdoor box to plug my phone into to test if the problem is "inside or outside" the house.  My next step is to go looking for said box and if I find one, I'll plug in my analog phone to it. 

I'll be watching this thread for any further posts, and will report back here if I have any luck. 

JSACKS
    New Contributor

I forgot to mention I had already tested with two older model AT&T analog phones and when the Panasonic blocked me out, the analog phones did the same thing.  I had hoped for a different outcome.

In my troubleshooting surfing, I have read that phones can go out in this manner because of some issue with the router-modem.  It's maybe something to do with frequency or wavelength, not sure I really understand any of it.  But all I can say is that since COX upgraded our router to this big powerful ARRIS, the phone has delivered this annoying service.  The COX tech was rather baffled when I told him about this and he said he wasn't sure if wished to hang around for 5 to 25 minutes until this random problem occurred again while I was on the phone.  So that was that!

Many folks seems to have this problem but there appears to be no solution.  It's nuts!

ReneeG
    Former Moderator
    Hi JSACKS & Meri F,

We'd be happy to investigate this issue and address your concerns. If you've tested the phones with a corded phone such as dhw1949 suggested, we will need to take a look into this from the back end. Please email our team at cox.help@cox.com. Be sure to include your name, complete address, and your issue. 

Meri_F
    New Contributor

Thank you, ReneeG, for the prompt response!

I'll send my info in as you suggested. 

Meri_F
    New Contributor

Update:  after sending my info as instructed, I did get an acknowledgment email from Cox, who said, "We will continue troubleshooting the issue to full resolution".  That was yesterday. 

After hearing nothing from them today, it finally dawned on me to reboot my router.  That seems to have worked. 

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @Meri F

I'm happy to hear the problem was as simple as that to fix. Let us know if you experience any further issues.

TCH
    New Contributor

I am having same problem and tried switching phone and does same thing.  So don't think it is the phones.

TCH

TCH
    New Contributor

That was first thing I tried to no avail.  Seems like if we want to talk over a few minutes we need to use the cell phone as the cox system keeps going to lala land.

TCH

• TCH,

How is your phone setup at home? Is the main phone connected directly to the back of the Telephony Modem?