Forum Discussion

Maximillian45
New Contributor
12 years ago

McAfee and Cox Security Suite Download

Can anyone help with actual instructions that work instead of links to the same useless instructions for downloading and activating the McAfee software? Please don't respond if you're going to repeat the same instructions that are given repeatedly in these forums. I've already tried them REPEATEDLY. They DO NOT work. Yes, I can read English. I know the difference between a primary account and an authorized user. Apparenly, who ever set up the web page does not. 

Thanks.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator

It appears primary login was suspended for an abuse related issue.  This doesn't necesarily mean something  you may or may not have done wrong but in either case you'll need to call technical support to get the ticket # and be transferred to our network security team to get the account reactivated.  This should get your account to where McAfee can be activated and installed.

• Chris,

Thank you for the information. I'll give it a try.

I was resisting phone support after my experience with the online chat support. All I can say is "Wow! I feel like Albert Einstein after just one chat session."

• Chris, I did try what you suggested but Cox Tech Support was not able to fix my problem. They had no record of an account suspension, only a notice of exceeding data usage limits from about 6 months ago. No one could verify your information. Even better, one fellow told me that my Primary Account Username didn't exist. I happened to be logged in under that name at the same time he was telling me this. I finally got handed off to McAfee tech support at which point I the phone connection dropped.

So, I give up. It's actually pretty comical. Since I'm not the only subscriber to experience this problem, I feel more confident that this is a bug in the Cox system rather than just me being dumb. Which is surprising because Cox has been providing me reliable service for many years. In this case, however, I'm reasonably sure that NO ONE at Cox knows what the problem is or how to fix it.

Since I can get a licensed copy of McAfee through work, I not sweating it. I have better things to do with my time.

Nevertheless, I do appreciate your help.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator

The part about you not having a primary login is actually correct.  When it is in suspension it technically doens't exist until it's reinstated.  Because so much time has passed since the suspension the notes concerning may have been pushed down to where the representative you spoke simply didn't see them.  You could try calling 800-753-6085 and have them look up the most recent abuse ticket linked to your account.

Mat
    New Contributor

Don't waste your time with mcaffee, it's awful virus protection. It was once a decent piece of software years ago, but not now. Just because it's "free" doesn't mean it's any good.