Forum Discussion

Azwilly
New Contributor
10 years ago

BEWARE...if you have a MAC running Yosemite and download McAfee from COX!!!!

It causes machine to have issues booting up! Looking at the internet this is a known issue with McAfee 9.6 and previous..             

you must download 9.7 and that is IMPOSSIBLE with COX! I wasted an enormous amount of time on this issue and COX is unable(or unwilling) to help. With COX you can ONLY download what they LET you and 9.7 is not available. Spent an hour online with India with a non english speaker...waste of time.

I've been with COX for 18 years and that is about to end.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    smtips
    New Contributor II

Just my opinion but...why would you want to run McAfee junk on your Mac (notice it's Mac, not MAC) anyway? It's always been a huge resource pig on both pc's and Macs. There are better tools to use on your Mac, Apple's own built in security will catch most anything. I'd consider running ClamX AV instead of Mcafee. If you're really paranoid or just want more protection from outgoing and incoming connections, then buy Little Snitch and install it too.

McAfee? YUK! Don't waste your time. If you've been a Mac user for any amount of time you know it's not worth wasting your time with companies that don't have a clue and won't keep up to date with Mac apps, they have tunnel vision and think the world revolves around Microsoft. Pick your battles and don't stress out over Windoze-world dummies who don't have a clue, LIFE IS TOO SHORT. You aren't going to convince them, you're just going to get a dumb, clueless stare when you start trying. That usually comes from Windoze IT jurks yelling about keeping their job, they know how much better Macs are and how much less virus-prone they are, and they worry about their jobs. I can't begin to tell you how many surveys and field tests have been done over the years proving how much more efficient and SAFE Macs are in networking environments..well these IT guys want to feed people lies because they worry about their job. ClamX and Little Snitch and Mac's built in security is far superior to any PC junk like McAfee and Norton trash.

Azwilly
    New Contributor

IF you READ my post, I have a problem with COX and not McAfee. McAfee does support Yosemite, the version from COX is not correct. I am aware of the spyware in the products you mention and will have nothing to do with them. I have had a Mac for 25 years and have no issues with Apple. I only use Windows at work. We all use what we trust and all have opinions.

• I've never downloaded or installed anti-virus from Cox on my Mac. The Apple virus protection system built in to the Mac seems to work fine. Just say no to McAfee or Norton on a Mac.