Forum Discussion

Mike_Zap
New Contributor
10 years ago

SB6141 Random Drops - Months and no resolution

As the title says, I have had the mysterious random dropping of my SB6141 for a while now. My previous modem had the same issues and was a DOCSIS 2 surfboard. I thought the modem was the issue and bought the SB6141 but the same issue was happening. 

Upon inspection of the cable run from the drop outside of my house I found the following: Barrel to my indoor run which was RG59 which went to another barrel then into RG6. From there, another barrel into RG6 down to a wall plate barrel with a short RG6 jumpre into a 2 way splitter with 2 RG6 tails - one to modem and one to digital cable box. 

About a month ago I replaced all of the cable and components in line. It now looks like this: Barrel to RG6 coming into the house with a straight run into the wall plate barrel (I also replaced this barrel) Then a short jumper into a 2 way splitter with 2 tails (one to modem and one to digital cable box) and the problem still persists. I am getting about 10 drops per day at random times.

I have had a technician come out to check the signal to the house but of course all he did was remount the cable drop on my house and call in for the signals to be checked - I thought they would at least disconnect the cable and check the integrity of the cable itself and maybe even check the plate at the pole. I guess I have a higher standard when verifying the integrity of a system.

Anyway, here are screen grabs of a couple of configurations for signal and a log file from today. I have yet to get a screen grab when the signal actually drops.

Before the cables and components were replaced

After cables and components replaced

After cables and components replaced without splitter or cable box

After cables and components replaced with splitter but no cable box

And finally a log from today

I should also mention that I have tried several power supplies and moved the power supply from surge protected to direct in the wall in various configurations with no apparent change. After speaking with a friend who was a Cox field technician for a while he believes this is an issue outside of my house and likely at the pole. Several years ago when this issue first started presenting itself it was after a major weather event where my cable was actually pulled form the house but still connected and hanging low over the street. I reattached it but no one ever came out from Cox to verify the cable at the pole.

I am still trying to vet other neighbors to see if they have any issues with their connections as well. So, where do I go from here?

36 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion