Forum Discussion

Lady_Maconite
New Contributor
10 years ago

Underwhelmed by CISCO DPQ3212

A Cox rep contacted my husband in May and insisted we needed an upgraded modem to keep up with the ever increasing internet speeds that Cox is adding frequently; whatever.  He tried explaining that we were not experiencing any problems (we have Preferred), but he finally got tired of wasting time on a futile conversation, so he relented and told the rep to ship the modem.  I just got around to having the time to work with the install today, and am thoroughly disgusted.  I am packing this junk up in the box Cox expected me to return the old modem in just as soon as the holiday has passed and I can get it out of here.  Firstly, even though it came shrink-wrapped, it's obviously used/recycled most likely rejected by a previous customer.  It's rather beat up and dirty looking, and I resent being sent something in this condition with what we pay for 3 services (almost $280).  The most distressing issue, though, is that I am unable to install this component in the place where my current modem is located which is under my desk in the knee space on the side of the right cabinet of the desk.   Everything else is permanently affixed on the right side (wireless router, power strip/surge protector, wire/cable coils) including the Cox installed cable outlet.  I am old and refuse to waste my time reconfiguring my well thought out work area to accommodate what amounts to an ill-conceived purchase on Cox's part.  Further troubling, is your own lack of confidence in this unit.  I am referring to your article, Cox Compatible Cable Modems, updated 27 Jun 2014, where you list preferred and recommended units, and this POJ is not even listed.  Well thanks, but no thanks.  We will continue with the modem we have while I research other options for purchase.

What requirements are necessary for compatibility beyond DOCSIS 3.0, 8x4?  There are numerous options on Amazon that meet these requirements between $50 and under $100, and most importantly, my install requirements,  but they are not all brands/model numbers that you have listed in the referenced article, if the information in the article is even accurate/trustworthy.

Also, just exactly what does Cox do to "activate" a customer-owned device?  In another article, Choosing the Right Modem, you reference used modems as being associated with another account, that therefore, renders them unusable.  Please kindly explain what that means.

Thanks.

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

The Cisco DPQ3212 is a great eMTA that is (8x4), it is the preferred Telephone/Internet Combo Modem IF you also have Cox Telephone.  Although I might exchange it for a brand new one, if you are paying to rent the Cisco DPQ3212.  If you have Cox phone the modem should be free to rent, and is required.

http://www.cox.com/residential/support/phone/article.cox?articleId=3a226f70-5ee2-11e0-4e73-000000000000

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/at_home/Cable_Modems/3200_Series/OL-30823-01.pdf

If you do not have Cox Telephone, you should just purchase your own DOCSIS 3 Cable Modem.  The best two recommendations would be the following: 4x4 is fine for Cox Preferred HSI.  Cox will be increasing the Internet Download speeds in the coming months of both Preferred and Premier, the new speeds should be Preferred 50/10 Mbps and Premier 100/20 Mbps.

ARRIS/Motorola  - SB6121 (4x4 channel DOCSIS 3) or
    http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS/dp/B004XC6GJ0

ARRIS/Motorola  - SB6141 (8x4 channel DOCSIS 3)
    http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS/dp/B00AJHDZSI

The Cox Solution Store also usually has very competitive pricing, just do not purchase a Modem - WiFi Router Combo unit, stick with a stand-alone Modem.

The Cox Store might have the ARRIS/Motorola SB6183 which would be the current best available, It is not available at Retail yet.
    http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId={d965e220-ea6b-11e3-fd98-000000000000}

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

The reason the DPQ3212 isn't on the the Cox approved list is because its a phone modem so only sold by Cox, and thus not listed with the retail devices. As far as eMTA (phone modems) go, its the standard and pretty good. I used one for about 3 years straight without a single reboot being needed except when a firmware update was required. With that said, if its refurbished, anything is possible. It is the phone modem version of the DPC3010, which is also a very popular device. My only complaint is you can't see the diagnostics, but thats as much Cisco's fault then Coxs.

It sounds like your a very organized particular individual, and I respect that. What modem is it replacing? Maybe we (the forum, I am not Cox) can think of a better fit...literally. 

tonguetwister
    New Contributor III

Not to hijack this thread, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but as a bundle customer (Cox TV, internet and phone), are you stating that devices required to work with Cox telephone service should be supplied free of charge to customers? We have a Cisco DPQ3925 gateway which, according to the invoice (WiFi Internet & Telephone Modem) we are being charged a $6.99 Rental fee for.

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

tonguetwister said:
    We have a Cisco DPQ3925 gateway which, according to the invoice (WiFi Internet & Telephone Modem) we are being charged a $6.99 Rental fee for.

Phone modems (eMTA) are given free of charge, not phone modem gateways though. Reason eMTA are free is they have to be or else you would be forced to rent one since you can't buy them. The price is integrated into your service cost I imagine.

tonguetwister
    New Contributor III

I kinda figured that the charge to us was justified and applicable. Thanks for the prompt reply, HealthEdge. Thanks also for illuminating me as to the inherent shortcomings of Cox-supplied Cisco gateways. I've been keeping tabs on the various data cap overage threads here and have been waiting patiently for someone to clarify just *how* to get devices like mine (DPQ3925) to provide log documentation. Now I know that the puppy just ain't bred for it!

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

The main reason no gateway has any kind of monitoring is it takes up a large amount of the devices flash ram. That where the device stores its firmware which includes all the routers features. The DPQ3925 only has 8MB 8.4MB and it has to share that between 3 separate devices (eMTA,HFC modem,gateway) so there just isn't enough space. See here for more info on its specs. Thats the one good thing about gateways, since it has to go through the FCC, all its info is public domain.