Forum Discussion

mark4387
New Contributor
6 years ago

Cisco DPQ3212

This piece of equipment has been plugged in since we bought the house. I have a regular cable modem and wifi. What does this Cisco DPQ3212 do and do I really need it? If I unplug it my phone doesn't work either. Im not real tech savvy  

Thx

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Ever heard the term "digital world?"  Outside of your home, the telephone network has evolved from an analog DC-voltage system into a digital-communications system.  There are no longer wires dedicated to only telephone service.  Well, maybe in some places.

However, our telephones are still connected to twisted-pair cables in our homes.  Meaning, our twisted-pair cables and pulse- or tone-dialing telephones cannot speak digital.  That's why Cox issued you a Cisco DPQ3212:  to translate our analog voice into digital signals...and vice versa.

That Cisco DBQ3212 was a free issue, so don't lose it or toss it.  When you cancel service, Cox will either want it back or charge you $$$ for it.

• Hi Mark4387, the Cisco DPQ3212 is how we provide your Cox Digital Telephone service. This is why your phone stops working when you unplug the Cisco DPQ3212. As long as you subscribe to telephony service with Cox, you'll need a device like the DPQ3212. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator