Forum Discussion

jak1982
New Contributor
11 months ago

Internet upload in Glendale, AZ is terrible yet again.

Internet upload in Glendale, AZ is terrible yet again. Why is this happening? It's never consistent and I've called in countless times about this and it's never been resolved. Every time the person on the phone tries to reset the modem, sends a tech out and they never see a problem. It's extremely frustrating, especially considering that this has been an off and on issue for years now and it feels like Cox doesn't care. The past couple of evenings the upload just tanks down to about 5mbps up, while my download remains good at 700-1gb down.

6 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Looks like your part of AZ hasn't got the upstream OFDMA channel upgrade yet. Most of AZ has it by now I think. You don't even have 8 upstream channels yet. Just 4 regular and 1 skinny. Maybe they are in the process of upgrading or changing the upstream frequency around. Was the technician an in-house tech. or a contractor? If contractor, try to schedule another technician and ask for a in-house. They can't promise it but they can possibly request it from dispatch. They are better trained, have more time and better tools to isolate the issue. If the technician was in-house, try filing a informal FCC complaint.

As for what you can do, have you eliminated all splitters in the house? Do you have a direct line from outside to the room the modem is in?

jak1982
      New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

All of the techs they’ve sent out are contractors, and really didn’t tell me anything useful other than they’d put things in their reports that I’ve never heard back on. They replaced one splitter I think a while ago and some item in the box in my front yard they said “melted”, but didn’t find any other issues. I was talking to my girlfriend last night and her apartment which is about 15 minutes away from me just got upgraded to 100 up a few days ago.

I can try asking for an in-house technician, but unfortunately this issue seems to be happening mostly in the evenings in my experience and is so intermittent that it never seems to manifest itself when a tech is here, so they never look at anything. Maybe an in-house tech is different, I don’t know.

The line in my office goes straight to the modem, so I’m unsure if that’s directly from outside to the modem. I’m. It sure how to tell or not.

I’m a bit baffled why my neighborhood hasn’t received the upgrade yet. A little communication from Cox about upgrade plans and ETAs would probably go a long way here to curb some frustration.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        The line in my office goes straight to the modem, so I’m unsure if that’s directly from outside to the modem

Start by finding your demarc. That is where the coaxial from outside connect to your electrical ground. There is usually a plastic house box containing the demarc connector and any splitters. Sometimes the box is locked, if not, open it up and look inside. From there, check the line as it goes to the room the modem is in. This is all something a technician should have done, but you can't take their word for it. Overall, how many outlets do you have in your house? Any other Cox services like TV?