Forum Discussion

Brink
New Contributor
2 years ago

Panoramic WI-Fi will not stay set to WPA3

Whenever I change the security setting for Wi-Fi 5 GHz to "WPA3-Personal Only", confirm, and save settings it acts like it was changed.

However, when I check the status, it shows "WPA2-PSK (AES)" instead. 

No matter how many times I change the security setting or start over from scratch, it will still always has it as "WPA2-PSK (AES)". 

I tested to connect to the Cox Panoramic Wi-Fi via WPA3 from a laptop to confirm, but it couldn't connect since the Cox Panoramic Wi-Fi will not actually change to WPA3. It will if I use WPA2 on the laptop.

Any ideas?

17 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

You will have to disable WPS to be able to set it to wpa3. WPS and wpa3 are mutually exclusive to one another. WPS requires wpa 1 or 2, so if you have it enabled it cannot save wpa3. 

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

How do you know OP is using WPS?  If the Pano uses NFC for WPS, I can understand moving the client farther away.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

because WPS is on by default, it would have to be disabled for WPA3.

Brink
      New Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I didn't get an email notification, so sorry for late reply.

WPS is disabled, and I do not use PODS. I have noticed that it will stay set to WPA3 on the Android phone app, but still doesn't stay in the actual IP settings via computer. 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Ensure the driver of your wireless NIC is up-to-date, delete the WiFi profile on your computer and rebuild it.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

You probably have to set the 5Ghz radio to Wifi 6(AX) only for it to accept the WPA3 change. If so, chalk it up to bad implementation. 

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

What do you mean by "start over from scratch"?  When you rebuild your network on the router, do you also delete the previous network from your device(s) and attempt to reconnect?