Forum Discussion

rms59
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Had to replace the gateway.

Now my HP 205 prnter wont connect because its looking for 2.4ghz and it says it only sees 5.

12 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Your printer won't connect to the router or your device can't connect to the printer?

What's the gateway...Panoramic?

rms59
      New Contributor II

The printer (HP m201dw pro) tries to connect to the COX Panoramic router but fails with a message that states "Router must be 2.4g and not 5." I know of no way to tell the router to switch to 2.4. The App does not want you to use separate 2.4 and 5 but rather let it do the sorting.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

It cannot see the 5ghz, only the 2.4. The error message doesn't make sense, since the printer only has 2,4 ghz, 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I think the coder for the setup program was just using a process-of-elimination.  The printer assumes you have a wireless network but can't detect 2.4 GHz...so what other frequency would be left?  5 GHz.

If the Panoramic no longer allows you to have 2 separate wireless networks, the Panoramic is doing you no good.  Get rid of it.

rms59
    New Contributor II

Well thought I would chime back in and finish this..... After talking with Cox Tier 1 a nice young lady setup two networks for 2.4 and 5 which satisfied my printer and roomba but didn't help opening closed ports on my other devices. I was then moved to Tier 2 for an hour then sent to Tier 3. Tier 3 guy was didn't understand the closed ports and simply said the gateway has to be messed up. 

He went on to say that all the routers in the Cox store are refurbished units and the chance of getting a new one is remote. So off to the store I went for another one and told them the story and I wanted one that works.

After getting it home and hooked up devices started coming on line.... Voila. The bad is that everything i had setup needed resetting again.

Thanks and have a jolly good day.

rms59
        New Contributor II

Thats exactly what Cox said but they didn't know for sure. None of the tiers could figure out my port problem.  According to the Tier 3 guy the routers software had to be borked not allowing any ports to be opened even when he had me unplug it for 10 minutes and reset it back to factory default. Replacing the already replaced router solved the problem. The defective router worked everywhere else except those few ports I needed. 

Never trust a refurbished unit to be working.