Forum Discussion

LBE
New Contributor
4 years ago

Frequent Intermittent Internet Outages in Phoenix Area

I have had Cox for internet about 2-3 yrs, and on the Gigablast plan for about 1yr.  For the most part everything's been fine. I work from home f/t and would be aware if there had been prior issues.  But just about 1 week ago the internet started to drop, probably about 10 times/day. I checked with our neighbors in our cul de sac and no one else was having this issue.

What was strange about this that I haven't seen in other forum posts is sometimes the wifi would work while direct to the port (in multiple rooms) would not. Felt it must be the modem which the tech replaced at the beginning of this week.  He checked everything at the street as well, made a few adjustments, and then suddenly all was great... clocked 945mbp speed and no more outages!

Then suddenly today, 4 days later the internet started to cut in/out again... already 6'ish times in the last 2 hrs.  My internet speed dropped as well, now only about 487mbps which normally would be great... except I'm paying for 1000mbps. Thought maybe I got another faulty modem... but that would be a strange coincidence. When I was on the phone with the tech again today, after resetting my modem from her end she suggested rather than using the port I try plugging directly to the modem. Same issue there, intermittently in/out.

I've checked all of the coax cables, all the ethernet cables, and power cords and everything seems tight and securely plugged in. I have seen multiple posts on this topic (some a bit too techy for me to follow), but don't think I've seen anyone come up with a solution.

Hoping since the lasts posts I've seen, all a bit over a few months or so, someone has since come up with an answer.  This is disastrous to my being able to work from home - HELP!!!

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Serhito
    New Contributor

I have the same problem in Florida. I contacted them and they ended up saying it was my equipment.

They already said that on my last outage. Crazy story.

I was streaming a game on my tv when it dropped. I looked outside and saw a cox truck right in front of my driveway.

I thought they were just doing some maintenance, and that it would come back up when they are done. When they left, it was still down. I called them and after lots of troubleshooting (and they didn't believe my story), they said it was my modem. I ended up buying a new one, and that still didn't fix the problem. They said they could only dispatch 4 days later and that they would bill me if it was a connection issue from the street to my house.

The next day, I was backing out of my driveway and I happened to looked at the electric pole in front of my house. I saw that 2 cables were disconnected. When I got closer I realized it was a coax cable. I reconnected it and VOILA !!!

So I don't trust Cox for being proactive at helping their customers. If I had a choice, I would already be gone.

Anyway... Did you fix the problem ?

I disconnected everything and connected the modem straight to my computer. Problem is actually worse. (I know, it's weird)

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      Hi @Serhito,
      Are there any splitters or amplifiers that are connected to the coaxial that is screwed into the back of your modem? If so can you bypass the splitter/amplifier and plug it directly into the wall from the modem? Have you completed any traceroutes or pingplots to pinpoint where these issues may be coming from?

Ben S.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Having the same exact issues it’s keeps cutting off and on through out day very frustrating 

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      Hi @Roobertphx623
      When you say it is cutting off are you referring to a wifi connection or is your modem resetting several times during the day? Are there any splitters or amplifiers that are connected to the coaxial that is screwed into the back of your modem?

Ben S.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Having the same exact issues it’s keeps cutting off and on through out day very frustrating 

chasepk
      New Contributor II

Yeah mines been like this for months, zero issues in the middle of the night but day time it never seems to be stable. My guess is with customer increase they’re not increasing the node count because they’ll be irrelevant after fiber roll out, but they’re still not installing fiber, sales rep told me fiber would be here soon (that was over a year ago) 

LitAsFck
    New Contributor II

This all week!

I just moved into my new place and it's been spotty and dropping since I moved in.  There's a TV outage around here but I don't know if that matters.  All I know is I've had one work order just randomly disappear and another was rescheduled due to this TV outage.  Frustrating to say the least.

SharonL
      Former Moderator
      Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the Social Media Team. This appears as if you may need someone to investigate your account personally. We would be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Thank you.

Sharon
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
    eestrada
    New Contributor

For the past 6 months I have been having intermittent issues with Cox.  I have had a tech come out and say that the signal is good. The tech checked The cabling from Cox and in the house and it was all good.

We even bought a new modem and the situation is still happening.

Tech support wants to blame it on the third party equipment, which is the exact same equipment they use!