Forum Discussion

MikeyChris
New Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Cant setup Outlook 2010 for use with Cox Web Mail

Hi,

I have followed the instructions at 

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/hamptonroads/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=38611eb0-bc75-11e1-eb46-000000000000

and still cannot get Outlook 2010 to sent a test message during setup. I am running Win 7 Pro 64 Bit and Outlook 2010 32 Bit. When I try adding a new account in Outlook, when the setup procedure gets to the part where it sends a test message, I get a pop box with Server imap.cox.net (or pop.cox.net - I have tried both) asking for my user ID and password (which is already entered in the data fields). 

It is possible I am not entering the correct data in setup as per the instructions:

a. Click More Settings.

b. The incoming server setting should be 110.
Note: Use the secure setting 995 when not on the Cox network; when using this setting check the box for SSL.

c. The outgoing server setting should be 465.

Note: Check the box my server requires authentication and the box this server requires a secure connection SSL.

d. Click OK.

When I go into MORE SETTINGS I get a dialog box with 6 tabs labeled GENERAL - SENT ITEMS - DELETED ITEMS - OUTGOING SERVER - CONNECTION - ADVANCED. I do not have a check box for Check the box my server requires authentication, but under the OUTGOING SERVER tab I do have a check box for My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication - which I checked. I also selected the option under it (Use same settings as incoming server). 

Also, I do not have a check box for this server requires a secure connection SSL, but under the ADVNACED tab, I can select SSL encryption on both the incoming and outgoing servers. I have tried both checking and not checking SSL, but the login still fails. The ERRORS tab in the TEST ACCOUNT SETTINGS dialog box tells me the login failed, and that the authentication methods supported by this client are not supported by the server. I have trierd every permutation of SSL with In/Out servers, and none work.

Any help is appreciated as I have recently moved from another carrier to Cox and have used Outlook as my email client for many many years and would like to continue doing so.

Thanx!

• Earlier in this thread, I mentioned I set-up my Cox account seven years ago.  Although it worked, my settings were outdated, such as geographical server names and ports 110 and 25.

I entered the updated servers and putz with the ports.  While putzing, I duplicated your errors:  Outlook can't logon to SMTP server.  However, I never received a pop-up box requesting my user ID and password.  Here are my final settings and I've received many test messages.

Server Information
      - Incoming mail server:  pop.cox.net
      - Outgoing mail server (SMTP):  smtp.cox.net
      - Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA):  SELECTED

More Settings
    General Tab.  (These are only labels; nothing to affect sending/receiving messages)
    Outgoing Server Tab
      - My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication:  SELECTED
      - Use same setting as my incoming mail server:  SELECTED

Connection Tab
      - Connect using my local areas network (LAN):  SELECTED

Advanced Tab
    Server Port Numbers
      - Incoming server (POP3):  995
      - This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL):  SELECTED
      - Outgoing server (SMTP):  465
      - Use the following type of encrypted connection:  SSL

...try these ports and settings and deselect everything else.

27 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion