Forum Discussion

TGPcola
New Contributor
6 years ago

Gigablast in Pensacola, FL

I was excited to see that Gigablast was finally available in my area (Pensacola, Florida).  I get 300 down or so with the Ultimate package, so I was excited to see what I'd get with Gigablast.  I went and bought a new Arris SB8200 modem, headed home, and called Cox to make the change.  They wouldn't honor the $99 price I saw online, so I ended upgrading myself online for the special deal that was displayed when I logged in, and then called back to activate the new modem.

Once everything was ready to go, I connected to the Internet and did a Speedtest.  180 down.  Wait, what?  I got 300 down previously.  Just minutes ago.  So the Cox rep asked me to power cycle the modem and my networking equipment (my wifi is Eero Pro 802.11ac mesh network and works very well).  After doing all that, we got worse results.  It was late and I said I'd call back the next day if the issues continued.

Today I went and took back the Arris SB8200 modem to Best Buy and bought a Netgear CM1000 instead - just for giggles to see if it'd work any better.  So, I called Cox, had the rep activate the new modem, installed it, restarted everything, ran Speedtest and... 82 down.  Are you kidding me?!?  The rep actually said to me "Please give the modem a while to work.  Sometimes it takes them a while to come online fully."  I just started laughing and said I'd call back.

Now, I've supposedly got Gigablast, but I'm getting worse speeds than I got on Ultimate.  I've tried 2 different modems, different coax lines, different Cat 6 cable, using wifi and not using wifi, etc.  Still sucky speeds.  AT&T is coming soon with their stuff and it's looking much more attractive now...

2 Replies

• Hi TGPcola, connect a device directly to the new modem with an Ethernet cord, reset the modem, and then run a few tests at speedtest.net. If you continue to see low speed results, I suggest that we schedule a service call so an on-site technician can take a closer look. Feel free to email my team at cox.help@cox.com with your full name, address, and a link to this thread. We want you to get the speed of the tier to which you subscribe! We're happy to schedule a service call for you. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    cepearson
    New Contributor

I live in Pensacola, and had the Ultimate package too. I purchased the SB8200 modem also and upgraded to Gigablast. I had the exact same experiences with connection speeds that you did. I reset the modem and router several times too. But, when I disconnected the router and went straight from the modem to the computer with an ethernet cable (CAT-6) and reset everything, my speed jumped up to 950Mb. When I reconnected through the router, my speeds plummeted. 

In my case it was the router. I had a Linksys WRT1900ACS which should have worked fine, but didn't. I made sure the router had the latest revisions. I upgraded my router to a Linksys WRT3200ACM and everything has worked fine since.

I'm now consistently reading about 950Mb/down 36Mb/up and 11ms ping to the Cox New Orleans site on Speedtest.