Forum Discussion

ExSophus
New Contributor
6 years ago

Does Cox allow Arris TG2472 cablemodems or not?

I have seen Arris TG2472 cablemodems being sold several places, and being supported by some other cable internet companies, yet when I searched on Cox website for TG2472 it says on Cox webpage:
www.cox.com/.../arris-tg2472.html

"To Cox's knowledge the Arris TG2472/TG1682/DG2460 devices are not currently available for retail purchase, and Cox's policy is not to connect with or support any device that have been stolen from Cox, the manufacturer or another service provider, or for which you do not have valid legal title. When purchasing a device, please confirm that it has been received from a legitimate source that has the authorization from the manufacturer or service provider to sell such equipment."

So does this mean that Cox is not supporting this cablemodem or is the webpage outdated regarding this modem?

Thanks.

5 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

It means Cox does support the modem...but will not support the modem if you don't have its "valid legal title".  Meaning, don't buy an illegitimate modem.

Also, you can only get a modem capable of Cox Voice from Cox.  You won't find Cox Voice modems via retail.

ExSophus
      New Contributor

I just noticed the TG2472 being offered on newegg.com for $200 NEW, and $130 refurb (both Moca telephony capable), so it is apparently out there from another legitimate retail site.

Re: "Cox Voice"...I'm assuming you mean it's something proprietary that isn't just Moca? Something that is firmware-locked? However, I'm sure there are plenty of people that wouldn't care about voice cabability...all they (as am I) are likely interested in is the 24x8 bonding capability for potentially higher performance and ability to better handle interference.

However, I just learned the TG2472 uses the Puma6 chipset, which I've read from multiple sources is very problematic, so I think I'll look for a Broadcom-based unit instead. There is apparently even a lawsuit being pressed based on devices with the Puma chipset.

Thanks for the info.

ExSophus
        New Contributor

I should mention that one of the main reasons I was interested in the TG2472 is that I have been extremely happy with the Motorola/Arris "Surfboard" family of cablemodems I've used over the years and expected the "Touchstone" to be a good investment as well.