Forum Discussion

Omaha_Geek
New Contributor
6 years ago

IPv6 does not work IPv6 domains without AAAA records.

I'm unable to reach microsoft.com or apple.com when my router has IPv6 enabled.  According to the tool found here https://ready.chair6.net/, neither microsoft.com nor apple.com have AAAA records.  I was able to reach google.com which has an AAAA record.  What's the real problem.  Is it my router, Cox or the websites not having AAAA records?

I'm sticking with IPv4 for now.

7 Replies

• Hi Omaha Geek, it's possible this is related to an issue affecting Cox Omaha customers since yesterday. Our network engineers are investigating an IPv6 issue when accessing certain websites such as Apple.com, CNN.com, FoxNews.com, and Netflix.com. Network traffic to the affected websites go through an Akamai peering point, so we're working with Akamai and hope to have the issue resolved soon. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      RDL
      New Contributor

Becky, appreciate the update. Actually I've been experiencing this outage for these sites and others since Monday evening this week. Glad it's being worked on and hope resolved soon. Will Cox post an update somewhere when it is? Was disappointed there was no alternate customer notice was provided. Almost reset my router/modem to factory settings thinking it must be on my end before I had called Cox yesterday.

Becky
        Hi RDL, sorry that you went through the factory reset! It took our network engineering teams a while to get a handle on exactly what was happening and create an incident ticket. I'll update you as soon as the issue is resolved. That way, we'll be able to verify that all websites are working for you! -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator