Forum Discussion

j_scally
New Contributor
9 years ago

Ubee DVW326B rebooting at least once a day

The initial modem installed by Cox was a Ubee DVW326B which worked without incident for a little over a week and then started spontaneously rebooting during the day.  Initially the reboot would happen fairly early in the morning (4:30 - 5:30 PT), then it started rebooting throughout the day - not a good thing when you work from home and have to use VoIP communications with customers.

Cox sent a tech out who changed switched out the Ubee modem for a Cisco.  The Cisco did not have the rebooting problem, but would stop communicating with all connected devices (cable or wireless) randomly throughout the day.

Cox sent another tech who changed the Cisco modem out for another Ubee DVW326B which worked well for a little over a week but has now started rebooting each morning just as my work day starts.

The techs from Cox have been very professional and thorough but the issue is still occurring.

The reboot does not appear to be related to initially firing up my work laptop as it has happened before and after the machine has been turned on.  Many times no devices have active connections (cable or wireless) to the modem when the reboot happens.  I have checked the settings on the Ubee (and the Cisco) and have not found any type of scheduled reboot option.

I have changed the outlet that the modem is plugged into, changed to a different outlet on another wall, installed a Tripp-Lite isobar and connected the modem(s) to that without any luck.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?  If so, were you able to find a resolution?

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi j_scally, I had a similar issue with my own modem that was plugged into a power outlet that was malfunctioning. Do you have your modem plugged into a good power source like a UPS?
    j_scally
    New Contributor

A Cox technician came out and did a bit more in-depth investigation and found that there were T13 errors showing in the log for the modem.  This led him to check the cables connecting to the modem and he found higher than normal amperage being fed to the modem from two different devices:

Linksys Max-Stream router

and a:

Netgear ProSafe 8 port gigabit switch (GS108).

His thought is that this is causing the modem to either overheat or think it is going to overheat so it reboots to correct the issue.  The Ubee's will reboot, the Cicso modems don't have that functionality which he thinks is why it would stop responding until it was manually rebooted.

With this information I have a 3rd party coming out to check and see if they find the same issue and if so what can be done to mitigate it.

AllenP
    Valued Contributor

The Ubee is a gateway which is a combination modem/router.  You post you have a Linksys Maxstream router connected also.  Do you have either the Ubee set in bridge mode or the Linksys acting as an access point, not a router?  Have you turned off the DHCP server in one of the devices ... if not, you could have duplicate ip addresses on your network causing thing to come to a halt.  It's not a good idea to have two routers on a network unless the routing functions on one are disabled ... you are just asking for problems.

The Cox tech told you he sees T13 errors?  Are you sure its not T3, never heard of T13?  T3s concern the cable connection, not the Ethernet.  And you are drawing to much amperage on the Ethernet ports?  I would be very surprised if the tech had the equipment to measure current draw on an Ethernet connection and the knowledge how to do it.  The entire tech visit seams a bit questionable.  Could this be one of the times the tech couldn't dazzle you with his brilliance so he tried to baffle you with BS?

j_scally
    New Contributor

The Ubee is in bridge mode and all wireless access is done via the Linksys so duplicate ip is not an issue.  It is very possible I misheard him in regards to it being T3 instead of T13.  The issue was happening prior to the Linksys ever being purchased so it isn't the key player in the problem - it was added to the mix to increase the wireless range since the Ubee signal doesn't make it to the other side of the house.

I do have an independent 3rd party coming out to recheck and see if they find the same amperage issue, or if what the tech said was not correct.