Forum Discussion

DoubleDAZ
New Contributor III
15 days ago

Will Powerkey Cable Cards Stop Working In October?

Hi. Earlier I asked if cable cards for TiVo will continue to be supported by Cox because some cable companies are stopping support (Optimum) or no longer providing them to new customers or existing customers if their card stops working. However, I’m now being told that the PowerKey cable cards have a date flaw and will stop working some time in October. I’m not getting any answers whether this applies to all PowerKey cards on all systems or just some. So, I’d like to know if anyone knows if this applies to cards supplied by Cox here in Phoenix? Other cable companies are sending letters saying their cards will no longer work, but I’ve received no letter from Cox and there’s nothing on my bill. Thank you for any info.

ColleenD
    15 days ago

DoubleDAZ 

I have your email and will respond in kind there too. Thanks for reaching out regarding your cable card. I can totally understand your concern about the functionality of your preferred video equipment. I have not heard any announcements regarding the status of any cable card currently supported by Cox. Since we typically notify customers of changes at least 30 days in advance where we can, I would think you would have already received notification if your cable card were deemed end of life. I hope this helps ease your worry.

ColleenD

DoubleDAZ 

I have your email and will respond in kind there too. Thanks for reaching out regarding your cable card. I can totally understand your concern about the functionality of your preferred video equipment. I have not heard any announcements regarding the status of any cable card currently supported by Cox. Since we typically notify customers of changes at least 30 days in advance where we can, I would think you would have already received notification if your cable card were deemed end of life. I hope this helps ease your worry.

DoubleDAZ
    New Contributor III

Thanks for responding so quickly. I have to admit I’m only mildly relieved. I don’t know enough about the technical stuff, but it seems strange that some are being told the reason support is being stopped is because the cards will no longer work. Now I know cable companies all use somewhat different technology and I hope that’s the case. I guess I’ll find out for sure pretty soon.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

If you haven't already read it, see this article. Even if the Powerkey issue doesn't stop cable cards(CC) from working, Cox is eventually going to move from QAM to IPTV which will make CC absolute. Because of this, I don't think they will put too much effort into a fix when they can upsell people to IPTV boxes which makes Cox more money. Comcast is at least giving a single IPTV box for free so maybe Cox will do something similar. Remember this is more than just CC not working. I don't have any data, but I would think a majority of Cox's cable boxes use CC inside them. If nothing else, Cox will probably stop installing/swapping/supporting CC used in Tivos and other 3rd party devices by October, if they haven't already in some areas. The writing is on the wall. You could switch to IPTV cable boxes but if I were you, I would look into streaming devices like Youtube TV on Google TV/Chromecast.

DoubleDAZ
      New Contributor III

Thanks, but that I already know, just trying to figure out how soon I need to get serious about looking at my options. I fully expect not to get a replacement card if mine stops working. My problem is our TV is on from 5am to 10pm, so I will most certainly exceed the 1.25T data cap with a streaming service. I don’t know if I’d exceed another 500G at $30/mo or would need to go for unlimited at $50. At this point, I know they have IPTV with cloud DVR and I believe it includes a box. I also think using the Contour app doesn’t affect the data cap, but I’m not yet sure of that or if it includes the channels I currently get, already asked for clarification. I have experience with YouTube TV and Hulu TV, so I’m familiar with some of the options. One advantage to those is I can use them wherever we are when we travel, not sure about the Contour app. I also know about 5G home internet service from Verizon and T-Mobile, but Verizon isn’t available at my home yet and T-Mobile throttles speed and I don’t know if they support 4K, things like Atmos, etc. But, you can bet I’ll find out. 🤣

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

I think it may block some devices from connecting based on their MAC addresses, but you may be able to use Cox's Hotspot(AKA CoxWifi) to connect your streaming devices. If it works, AFAIK the bandwidth used doesn't go against your cap. If you have a Panoramic gateway, it will broadcast the CoxWifi SSID to connect to. Otherwise you have to connect to a neighbors Panoramic hotspot or a access point out on the poles. The main problem is even if you can connect, you need a device with a browser to sign in with your Cox username and password(not your wifi name and password). You can get around this by buying a travel router which are designed to connect to wifi networks with sign in splash screens at hotels and airports. See post here.

bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

Many Long Term TiVo users on the TiVo Community Forums have already switched to YouTubeTV.  That seems to be the most popular. I'm considering my options as well.  My top 3 are:
    YouTubeTV
    Sling TV
    Direct TV via Internet

I absolutely refuse to rent a Cox IP box and Panoramic WiFi, which I believe is required for a Cox IP box.