Forum Discussion

Lucky13
New Contributor
4 years ago

Which box do I need to hook up my stereo receiver?

New customer here. Tech installed a 4K wireless box, but didn't know anything about connecting our Harmon Kardon HK 3390 stereo receiver to it. The HK 3390 doesn't have an HDMi or optical option. And the 4K doesn't have an A/V out port. Do I need to request a different box, and which one? Would like to be able to hear Music Choice run through the speakers.

6 Replies

Lucky13
      New Contributor

Unfortunately the HK doesn't have bluetooth. It's not a dinosaur, but it's pretty close. It still runs great so we want to keep it, but it's without bluetooth, usb, hdmi, and other "modern" options.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

It's not close to a dinosaur.  It's a basic 2-channel stereo receiver.  It doesn't have 80's technology but does have 80's functionality:  turntable, AM'FM reception, analog connects.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Your HK isn't a "smart" device and a cable-box isn't a true stereo component.

If you want to stream music to your HK, you'll need a dedicated network-streamer.  If you want to connect a cable-box to your HK, you'll need a cable-box with Component connectors.  You didn't mention the make/model of your TV, but it may be a solution:  Coax > Cable-Box :> HDMI > TV > Component Cables > HK.

Lucky13
      New Contributor

Yeah that most likely will be the plan, The old cable box had a pin type end into the box and RCA cables on the other end for plugging into the receiver. The cable box wasn't very old so repeating that method is probably the best way to go.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III
        The old cable box had a pin type end

I'm unsure of this "pin type end" on your old cable-box.  A single pin-type end?  One end of the cable had 1 pin-type connector and the other end had 2?

Basically, audio/video signals are either digital or analog.  Both types are fine.  The problem is the 4K wireless box only outputs digital signals and your HK only accepts analog signals

If you want to connect both devices, something in between your cable-box and HK needs to convert the digital signal into an analog.  It appears your old cable-box could convert because it had analog outputs (connectors).

This conversion isn't unique because our audio/video devices do it every day.  You, however, currently don't have a device for this conversion.

If your goal is only Music Choice, I don't feel you need a high-end digital-to-analog convertor.  Your TV may be your solution.

What's the make and model of your TV?