Forum Discussion

tpfeffer
New Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Use of Cox coax cable for OTA antenna

I am in the process of terminating my Cox cable TV but keeping Cox internet.  I do not have a phone land line.  The coax enters the house where it splits to the cable modem and to the TVs.  I intend to disconnect the coax supporting the TV from the internet so there will be no cross feed or interference.  I will return the cable boxes to Cox. 

My intent is to connect an OTA antenna directly to the coax cable and use the coax already throughout the house to feed OTA signals to those TVs.  I have an in-line amplifier installed in this circuit to boost signal strength. 

My question is the coax cable used in Cox TV service compatible with OTA signal?

Thanks

• Hi Tpfeffer,

The coax cable in your home is capable of transmitting an over-the-air signal.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Tpfeffer,

The coax cable in your home is capable of transmitting an over-the-air signal.
    JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @tpfeffer

Most welcome please let us know if you have any further concerns.

tpfeffer
    New Contributor

Jonathan

Today I told Cox to remove my cable subscription and the service was turned off within minutes.  I opened the box on the side of the house where the cable entered the house.  On the coax service, there was a filter into a three way splitter.  Two legs of the splitter were for cable tv and the third for internet.  I removed the filter and splitter and connected the coax entering the hosue directly to the internet connection.  All is working as planned. 

My question is whether the filter should remain.  The filter has the folllowing markings:

GLF-1002B1, Reject band 1125-3000 mhz, Pass band 5-1002 mhz.

Thanks

• tpfeffer,

I'd suggest leaving the filter in place, in the way it was originally connected.