Forum Discussion

PJL1520
New Contributor II
8 months ago

Tuning Adapter (High-Split) Converter Problem

I have a TV ROAMIO that has been used without problems with a tuning adapter for 9 years.  

A few months ago I was sent a new High Split Converter (HSC-1-H) and I installed it and it worked without issue for 2 months.

At 2 am a week ago, I could not receive any channels.

When I unplugged the HSC tuning adapter - everything returned to normal.

I replaced the Cable Card - no effect

A COX tech spent 2 hours in my house and was unable to find the problem.    He verified that all my wiring, splitters, and signals to the unit were fine.     He replaced all the cable and splitters.

I replaced with TIVO with a new ROAMIO - No change -  Nothing will work once I plug in the Tuning Adapter.

COX sent me a new Tuning Adapter (HSC) and everything worked for about 24 hours - then, once again at 2 am - the problem returned.   No channels unless I unplug the tuning adapter.   

I have changed all the USB cables, twice, changed every component in the system, twice, and watched the COX tech work on the problem for 2 hours - Nothing.  

I have an open support ticket, but no one ever updates the status.   

Any suggestions?   Firmware updates?

50 Replies

bscheets
    New Contributor

We just got the new, required Vecima HSC Tuning Adapter to be used with my Roamio.  It had been working fine with the Cisco TA, but they are making changes that require the HSC.  Of course I wouldn't be posting if everything worked fine.  It isn't working, and the TA Diagnostics won't show anything.  They sent a tech out who couldn't resolve, and another one is now scheduled.  He'd tried both split and passthru config (left the latter), but neither worked.  Note that they had not changed the cablecard;  just the TA.  I'm glad to hear its working with a Roamio, and it may just be the firmware level.  I can't see the firmware version due to the TA diagnostics not displaying.  Was the firmware update something they had to manually push?

bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

All 3 of my HSC Tuning Adapters started a reboot loop at 7:59PM (Arizona Time) Wed, 04/24/24
    Is anyone else seeing this behavior?
    I called the CableCARD hotline, they said they could see the rebooting happing, and my area had a very high call volume for Issues.

DorisM

Hi, there. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your service. Please email my team with your request at cox.help@cox.com so we can obtain account details and review further.

Thank you.

davephx
        New Contributor II

oops deleted to reply to original poster

bscheets
    New Contributor

Had some trouble getting logged in here to post an update, but a second tech that had Cable Card / Tuning Adapter experience was able to get everything to work.  Primarily a lot of reboots and waiting.

Note:  latest TA (Vecima HSC) firmware version: eTR version 1.8.0  Although I originally couldn't get the TiVo to show any TA diagnostics, the original was on 1.4 I think they said.  Everything has been working great for about a week.  The TA does get pretty hot;  I've got it on the top and separated from the other electronics.

Note also, the correct wiring is cable into TA, and then out to the TiVo (pass thru), and not split.  Apparently, the new TA has the capability to re-modulate channels (impressive), and therefore the TiVo needs to get the cable from the TA.  

The techs were very nice and cooperative.  One remote tech was helpful in provisioning and scheduling the on-site techs.  Any chat, general help desk, or retail store people; however, are clueless.  The best you can hope from them is to ship you the new TA and/or schedule an appointment with the right techs.  The retail store people (especially the store manager) are generally rude and very put out that you want something other than what they are trying to sell you.  You can get the new TA shipped to your home, and I think if you wait long enough and reboot enough (both TA and TiVo), I think the TA will eventually download the latest firmware.  You shouldn't need a new cablecard;  I don't believe they have anything "new" cablecards anyway.  Even if it isn't working initially, you'll want to leave the TA on overnight (cable in and power) so it can get the latest firmware downloaded.  It didn't appear the techs could do anything to force a TA to update itself.

• I did a self install. Coax passes though the TA, USB hooks up ( they're still using the old mini-USB or whatever that thing is), power on, and make the activation call. The Edge was working before the call ( or old data from the Cisco was being used?).

Funnily enough, the Roamio worked fine without the TA but not with it. During the activation call they had me reset the TA after doing something at their end. The Roamio appeared to work fine after that so I hung up. However it only worked until the TA finished rebooting (kind of slow I guess), so no golden bullet there. Looking at the Roamio devices page I could see the tuning adapter status cycling between present and not present. Reboots of either or both boxes didn't help. The USB connection wasn't working between them. 

I split the coax into both the old TA and the new TA and used the old one while the new one downloaded a firmware update. About 24 hours later I swapped to the new TA and the Roamio showed a solid USB connection status. All the channels were working. 

Which all just confirms what has been said here already about Roamio TA's. I'm glad I knew what to expect, since Cox was mostly clueless. No need to send techs out. It just needs to sit, connected to Cox, probably after activation, long enough (maybe 24 to 48 hours, maybe less) to update its firmware.

iconoclast
    New Contributor II

I'm in Phoenix and the solution worked for me after several Cox telephone techs including level 2 were unable to get it working! 

I have Roamio.

In my case, with the new Vecima TA connected, I lost all channels. The blue light kept flashing on the TA. I discovered, accidentally, if I unplugged the USB cable end from the TA… I got my Non SDV channels back but, still blue light flashing and still no SDV channels and still the TiVo cycled between saying: ‘yes TA connected/no TA connected!’

L2 tech ordered a new TA for me. Arriving Friday.

I then went online and searched and luckily… I found this discussion!

I had already restarted both the TiVo and the TA a couple of times but I did it more and left the TA connected & about 18 hours later, the TA blue light was steady! I checked the TiVo and it still was cycling, saying: ‘yes TA connected/no TA connected!’
    I waited & restarted both TiVo & TA again.

Finally, after approximately 24 hours, I tried connecting the USB cable again & this time I did NOT lose my non-SDV channels but, TiVo still did not say TA connected. Said No TA connected. At least it was no longer cycling!

A couple hours later I ck again & now TiVo says TA connected!
    I still did not have SDV channels so, I restarted the TiVo yet again and then Voila!… I have all my channels; SDV & Non SDV!

I called Cox L 2 back again and told him about it and they said that they would look into it because they were never told anything about waiting for a firmware update. I was already activated from the night before when they enter all the information regarding the new TA.

Thanks so much for posting this information!

dp118
      New Contributor III

Thanks for your post.  I'm in Northern Virginia.  Yesterday received 3 Vecima TAs to replace Cisco TAs in two Bolt Plus TiVos and one Premier XL.  All operating perfectly for years.

Decided to mount one at a time, get it working, then mount another.  Glad I did.  Still in mounting process on 2nd machine.  1st machine problems similar to you and mharvey31 which resolved after 14 hours.  I'm convinced Vecima TA got a firmware update overnight.  I left the USB cable disconnected overnight.  This morning I connected USB cable between Vecima and TiVo, had solid blue light on TA, and Bolt recognized TA with all SDV and non-SDV channels.  Working fine now.

My 2nd Bolt Plus is now going through same process.  Same problems.  Will find out tomorrow if it resolves same as 1st machine, then on to Premiere XL.

UPDATE:  It's tomorrow.  2nd Bolt Plus and TA working fine.  Onto 3rd TiVo, old but reliable Premiere XL.

UPDATE 2:  It's now the third day with 3 Vecima TAs and 2 TiVo Bolts and a Premiere XL, all working properly with the Vecima TA.  My Premiere XL took about 15 hrs to sync with the TA and required a soft reboot of the TiVo and a powered reboot of the TA.  All working.  Intend to return all old TAs to local Cox store tomorrow.

What I learned in my situation from hours with CableCard tech support yesterday, which couldn't get it working, and my own troubleshooting.

1. Coax cable in old cable split configuration or connected in pass-through mode from cable outlet to TA and from TA to TiVo is fine.  Works either way.  I have MoCA TiVo connections which are not affected and do not affect this transition.
      2. CableCard Tech support confirmed Vecima TA is on my account, confirmed the TiVo it is connected to.  Needed the TiVo's Host ID, Cablecard ID, and CableCard Serial number.  They can send refresh hits to the TA and Re-Pair the cablecard.  These actions did not get the TA working but ruled out problems with the TA, TiVo, and cablecard from their end.  Tech support cannot read the TA firmware version on their system nor can they update.
      3. If TA doesn't work with TiVo after calling tech support leave TA power on, all coax cables connected per instruction sheet in TA box or in old split mode and leave USB cable disconnected.  Wait 12-24 hours for firmware update which Cox usually does overnight.  Reconnect USB cable and see if it's all working.  In my case it downloaded version 1.8.0 as viewed on Tuning Adapter Diagnostics once it was working.
      4. Have patience.  After setting up 3 TiVos and the new TA, I'm convinced allowing the TA sit connected with power on for about 12 hours resulted in a firmware update or syncing overnight and this helped.  In no case did a TiVo work immediately or soon thereafter when connected to the Vecima TA.
      5. Tech support will set up tech appointment if problems cannot be solved.  No Charge according to my tech agent.
      6. I got same "can't use 6 tuners" message as mharvey31 but all six tuners are working on my 1st Bolt to get working with this new TA.

mharvey31
        New Contributor II

Good to hear from more that are going though this.  I am also Northern VA.

It is interesting that you received the message about fewer tuners, but it works for you.  Maybe a difference between the Bolt and the Roamio?  I can see that only 5 tuners are working on mine.

mharvey31
      New Contributor II

I think I have this same issue.  I have a Roamio that has been working for almost 10 years with the Cisco TA.  I received a vague email from Cox saying that I needed to replace something (not specific).  I placed the order and received the Vecima TA.

I installed it today but could not get it to work.  Same behavior as described above.  I was on the phone with a tech for more than an hour, trying all kinds of things, with no resolution.  He scheduled a tech visit for next week but also said that he would ask around to see if anyone else has encountered this.  And would try to see if there was a firmware update.

Then I found this thread.  I am hoping that a firmware update corrects this so I do not have to go though a tech visit.  The TA is on and connected to coax.  I can get non-SDV channels, but only if the USB is not connected to the Tivo.  If I connect I can not get anything, and the TA status is constantly cycling between connected and no TA.

One other issue: When it does connect I get a message from the TIVO saying that the connected TA does not support the 6 tuners of my Roamio.  Is this another update or setting that needs to get sorted?

mharvey31
        New Contributor II

And the TA is now working after sitting powered and connected overnight.  I reconnected the USB to the Tivo this morning and it was still cycling between connected and No Tuning Adapter.  Rebooting the Tivo and power cycling the TA got everything working, for the most part.  

Last issue:  The Tivo pops up a message saying that it can not use all tuners.  It says "The Tivo box has six tuners, but the connected Tuning Adapter supports less than six.  As a result, you won't be able to use all of the tuners on your Tivo box.  Please contact your provider if you would like to use all six tuners on this Tivo box."

I was able to use all six tuners with the Cisco TA.  I called Cox support and was bumped up to "Cable Card support".  The rep could see references to others having this issue, but could not find anything that was done to resolve the issue.  He bumped me to T2 and they opened a ticket.  So, we will see what happens.