Forum Discussion

mcraigvaughn
New Contributor
3 years ago

Starter TV from Cox – 75 channels for $25/month?

I'm moving to a new area soon, and will be unable to use an antenna for the local/basic broadcast stations.  

I see that there is a Starter TV option when I search google, and it's $25 a month.  

When I go to the cox website (I currently have internet only where I live), and shop to add TV services, I see 2 options to consider.

I see the option for the Basic Box, $4.00/mo, "Watch basic live HD TV channels in additional rooms", and an option for :

Want to use your own equipment?  "If you already own a DVR or TV box like TiVO, you can pair it with our CableCard for $4.00/mo. It's a digital cable decoder about the size of a credit card. Just make sure your device is CableCard compatible."

When I click "Shop TV Plans" for either of those options, the only plans/options that show up are for Contour TV, which is $50.  

I have no interest in going with Contour TV or paying double just to watch local/basic channels.

Is the old Starter TV (Non Contour) plan still available, or are they forcing new upgrade to go the more expensive route?

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • @Able F, To get all the latest offers and options for your new location, I recommend reaching out to our sales department at 888-438-6673. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Whichever cable-TV option you choose, it'll cost waaaay more than the Cox list-price due to rental fees, Broadcast Surcharge, Regional Sports Surcharge, taxes and fees.  The $50 price is just to entice you.

You should look into a streaming service for your local and basic stations.  I understand YouTube TV carries local stuff.

mcraigvaughn
      New Contributor

YouTube TV & Hulu + Live TV are $64.99 a month.  Too much $$.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I noticed those prices as well but didn't explore for any basic options.  YouTube may just have a basic plan listed somewhere.  It's worth exploring.  Cable-TV is just too expensive.