Forum Discussion

Marcovaldo
New Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Power down by voice

I used to turn off my Contour box by pressing the "Listen" button on the remote and saying "Power down", at which point the option to do that would appear on screen. All of a sudden, this doesn't work any more. Any idea why?

• Update again coz the power down by voice command is not working again!!! It was working prior to yesterday when there was a partial outage in my area which is the Phoenix metro area. Please make it work again as it’s a royal pain in the butt to have to do it the long way by going to settings then device preferences then power then power down. It’s so much simpler to do it with the voice command. Please find a permanent fix for this so that it will always work!!! 

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    matts6887
    New Contributor II

Update again coz the power down by voice command is not working again!!! It was working prior to yesterday when there was a partial outage in my area which is the Phoenix metro area. Please make it work again as it’s a royal pain in the butt to have to do it the long way by going to settings then device preferences then power then power down. It’s so much simpler to do it with the voice command. Please find a permanent fix for this so that it will always work!!! 

AChristy
    New Contributor

I cam here to ask the same thing. Voice "Power Saver" or "Power Down" used to work. All the sudden, it doesn't and I have to go through the entire ridiculous process to do it manually. What gives?

MarkM1
    Former Moderator
    Marcovaldo,

I checked the Contour box & that feature is disabled. It states that the box can not handle power on/off. We are not sure if this feature will be made available in an up coming update to the box. Please keep checking to see if that feature will be enabled at a later date.

Mark M.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Everything you wrote only begs more questions.

[I checked the Contour box & that feature is disabled.]  Why was it disabled?

[It states that the box can not handle power on/off.]  It obviously can because subscribers have been doing it.

[We are not sure if this feature will be made available in an up coming update to the box.]  Who does know...L.L.Bean?

[Please keep checking to see if that feature will be enabled at a later date.]  Why do you work here?

Marcovaldo
      New Contributor

It worked for about 3 months. How did it suddenly lose the ability? 

matts6887
    New Contributor II

Me too!  I’m wondering what happened to the voice commands to power down the set top as well. I think cox needs to undo whatever the last software update to the box was or get a fix so we can get our power down via voice commands back. At a later date u say? But it was working fine to power down via voice before your last update to our boxes! Now that is a bunch of garbage is if u ask me! I’m paying u guys a lot of money every month and here u go taking away our voice commands to power down ability. Please do something to fix this! 

maxhess
    New Contributor

This is bogus, my remote wont even turn the box off so the voice command was the only way.  now I have to go through the long process of going into settings, device settings, power settings, and power down for the mini box since there is no power button, and the same for the main receiver or opening my cabinet each time to manually press the button on the box.  Nobody at cox seems to have an answer for why we can not turn these off!

MariaL
      Hi Maxhess,

What is your remote's model number? This can be found on the back of the remote control.

Maria L.
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Marcovaldo
    New Contributor

The power down by voice is working again. If the is the result of Cox listening to its customers, then thank you. If it is due to an error, disregard this message.