Forum Discussion

BeauCantrelle
New Contributor
3 years ago

DRM Cox with HD Homerun cable

I have an HD Homerun Prime device I use with a Cox cable card. I have used this setup for around 3 years now with no issues. The past couple of weeks all of my non local channels are not loading on the hdhomerun app. They say HDCP required to display. This has never been the case before. I use to be able to watch ESPN, TBS, etc without any issues. Now I can't even view these channels. 

I also use this with plex live/dvr and the channels will no longer load there either. Only my local channels. 

This is horrible. Is there anything I can do? A couple of months ago when I would call in Cox there was an automatic message asking if I was calling due to needing to update my cable card. I wonder if it has anything to do with that? I live in Louisiana. 

4 Replies

CrystalS
    Former Moderator
    Hello @BeauCantrelle,

I am so very sorry to learn of your TV troubles and I'd like to help. To better the viewing experience of our customers, we are continuing to the next phase of the retirement of MPEG2 and converting channels in every market to MPEG4 for Cox Business and residential customers. MPEG2 retirement impacts third-party MPEG2 compatible devices, such as TiVo or some personal computers with a built-in TV tuner. The customer has the following options.
    ● Upgrade to a Contour or Contour 2 receiver.
    ● Upgrade their third-party device.
    Note: CableCARDs are not MPEG2 or MPEG4, but the device it is connected to could be an MPEG2 device and may be impacted. CableCARDs will not need to be replaced. If you need more assistance. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
    debbie_heinen
    New Contributor II

For a few months, Cox has been implementing DRM on all channels (excluding locals) for their "MPEG-4 Upgrade." Unfortunately, there's nothing that you can do to fix/remove it for HdHomerun hardware besides use Windows Media Center, which is very outdated and unsupported.

BeauCantrelle
      New Contributor

This is absolutely horrible. I just read another post that is now closed talking about DRM happening to them with Cox is other areas. Some claim it came back, but most say it is permanent. This is literally the only reason I still pay for cable. I will likely be cancelling if I can no longer view my channels on Plex via HDHomerun and Cox cable card. I am paying $170 a month on CABLE alone. I have a different internet provider. I have no reason to continue paying that if I can no longer view content through plex and DVR it. I don't care about Windows Media Center. That does not work for my needs. 

CoxOCcustomer
        New Contributor III

Unfortunately you're going to have to move on.  Same happened to us here and my HDHomeRun Prime has been sitting in a drawer since March.  On the upside, we found streaming to be a much better option than what Cox was providing, and if Cox didn't force our hand, we might not have even thought to switch.