Forum Discussion

Biggquis
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Does Cox have HDR?

Quick question.  I notice when watching Netflix through the 4k box, the signal does not show as HDR on my TV set.  Also, all content is just labeled "HD" when scrolling through Netflix.  On my other set, it is labeled as "Dolby Vision" "4k HDR", etc.

16 Replies

DavidA2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Biggquis,

That is a good question. Through some general google searches, our 4k boxes do appear to support HDR. However, that is not something that I am overly familiar with. You may want to consider doing some additional research via Youtube.

David
    Cox Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

The TV and the server negotiate picture format.  If your TV doesn't support HDR, the server will send HD technology.  If you have an UHD TV, you may need to update its codecs.

Biggquis
      New Contributor II

The set does support HDR.  I just moved it from being always hooked up to an Xbox to the room where the cable box is.  And I did change settings on the box to 4k from 1080

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III
        The set does support HDR

This is like saying, "My wireless router supports encryption."  Okay...which standard:  WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA3, etc?

I looked up Netflix and it supports Dolby Vision and HDR10.  If your TV doesn't support these industry standards, Netflix will probably send the dynamic range of the HD standard.

TV sets may also have a proprietary standard, which is a standard the manufacturer invented.  Probably not as good as the industry standards (HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, etc).

Biggquis
      New Contributor II

Yes they are.  I moved a set from my game room to the living room, where I previously had a 1080p plasma hooked up.  Maybe it'll just take a while to update or something.  I did go into settings on my box and change max resolution to 4k

Biggquis
    New Contributor II

Found the problem.  My soundbar wasn't able to pass an HDR signal through.  Connected the cable box straight to the TV and TV to soundbar via ARC.  HDR showing on all sources now.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

You had your cable-box connected to the soundbar?

Does you TV have an eARC port?

Biggquis
        New Contributor II

Yes and Yes.  It's all set up correctly now.  My Atmos soundbar can handle any signal I've thrown at it, but this one I'm just finding out can't.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

It depends what kind of cable box you're using. If you are using a WiFi box, it should handle 4K netflix, if you're using a wired box, you are stuck with HD only, unless you can load and run netflix from the tv itself and not through the cable box. Make sure your connected direct to the tv though, so you get the correct signals. 

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

I always said cable-boxes are the worst streamers.  If you want to stream like a pro, get a device engineered to stream.  Streaming apps on a cable-box were just an afterthought to dupe subscribers from cutting-the-cord.

Biggquis
      New Contributor II

Yes, wifi box.  Situation is resolved :)