Forum Discussion

tfuertes
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Contour box freezes

After over 30 years with Cox this year has been a nightmare. I recently was offered Cox complete care but I declined. Now EVERYDAY my contour box freezes. I can continue watching whatever I was watching but can not change channels or control the DVR. I have to reboot my contour box. There is nothing wrong with my connections!! I only have ONE TV. I know it is not my signal because the show I am watching is crystal clear. I can get a tech to come to my house but now Cox wants $75 to service their products.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'd log into your Cox account to reset your cable-box.  Rebooting reboots a cable-box as is.  Resetting reloads software and stuff.

If this doesn't help, it is suspicious this started after declining Complete Care.

You could contact the Consumer Protection agency for your state.

www.usa.gov/state-consumer

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III
    I know it is not my signal because the show I am watching is crystal clear.

Being able to view channels doesn't mean you don't have an intermittent signal issue.  What you described is a symptom of a signal issue somewhere between your receiver and the Cox server.  When you press a button on the remote, a command request is sent to the Cox server which sends a response back to your receiver.  A signal issue can cause the receiver to lock up waiting for a response from the server that it never receives.  While watching the crystal clear channel, does your receiver ever freeze when you press pause, reverse or fast forward?

You should schedule a tech visit to check your signal.  If your cable comes in from a pole, be sure to request a tech with a long ladder.  The tech should check your signal at the tap to determine if there's an issue with the main line.  If that's the cause, you won't be charged for the tech visit.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III
      When you press a button on the remote, a command request is sent to the Cox server

That must be some remote!

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

When you press a button on the remote, the receiver sends a command request to the Cox server.  What I said is correct.  A command request is sent to the Cox server.  Did you think the remote sends a command request directly to the Cox server?  No.  That's not how it works.

The next time someone posts this issue, I'll be sure to specify that the receiver sends the command request, just for you.