Forum Discussion

ONE
New Contributor
6 years ago

Adult advertising

Is there a way to block adult commercials that have been appearing on the History Channel?  My kids watch the History channel, and I was shocked to see adult commercials show up.  This seems to be a recent change, within the last few months I'm guessing.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Any way to block all commercials?  We...not all..have just devolved into an online culture.  We'll do and say anything for a click and attention...not matter how shocking or depraved.  The History Channel with adult commercials defies any relationship but, unfortunately, *** pays their bills.  *** could be anything.  I feel pharmaceutical ads are fear-selling ***.  Any way to block those?

You can either inform the History Channel of your disapproval and continue watching...or you can stop watching.  If enough subscribers stop watching, they'll get the message.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

I don't know why Cox censored my word.  Replace the "h" in shut with an "m" to reveal my word.

Jerry
      Contributor II
      If enough subscribers stop watching, they'll get the message.

I believe a channel's revenue comes from the total number of cable subscribers not the number of actual watchers. Advertiser's rates as well. Not to mention History is part of the A&E Network which is owned by Disney/ABC and as such comes as an all or nothing package offering to Cox. That's how we get shows like "Endurance Ice Fishing with Swen" on the Nordic channel.*

*Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

You're correct.  Advertising vs Subscribers is about a 30 to 60 percent ratio.  However, if fewer people are watching History, advertisers won't want airtime.  Although a small revenue stream, it's a stream nonetheless.

I also don't believe corporate would want Disney and PhoneSexy in the same sentence.

• Hi One, was the commercial advertising the phone number and website for www.PhoneSexy.com? These types of commercials seem to be popping up more often these days. What time of day did the commercial air? I believe that the pen is mightier than the sword, so I'd encourage you to reach out to www.facebook.com/.../ or www.aenetworks.com/contact. To learn more about "Obscene, Indecent and Profane Broadcasts" or file an FCC complaint, go to www.fcc.gov/.../obscene-indecent-and-profane-broadcasts. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator