Forum Discussion

Tariq_K
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Wireless Contour Stream Player (Cox TV) usage is being counted towards my Data Usage

I realized today that Cox is counting my Contour wireless usage (Cox cable TV) towards my Data usage cap. Got an alert yesterday that I have used 75% of my data and I still have 10 more days left in the monthly cycle. I had just installed Google Nest Wifi couple of weeks ago, so now I have more detailed wireless stats available to me than just the Cox Data Usage meter. Using Google Wifi app, I can see that over half of my data usage is attributed to "Arris" device which is my Cox TV stream player. I have been repeatedly told by Cox that watching Cox TV either by the wireless stream player or using Contour app on a mobile device DOES NOT count towards my data usage. Cox website also states that the following Cox-provided services do not count towards your monthly data plan:

• Watching live or On Demand content via the Contour app
• Watching On Demand content via a Cox HD receiver or Cox DVR
• Watching Cox On Demand for TiVo
• Cox Digital Telephone services
• Cox Homelife services

Called Cox today, got thru after 45 minutes, spoke to the agent, got put on hold as she researched (she said she will call me if we got disconnected), she got back and as soon she she started saying "thanks for waiting, I looked at everything…".  the line went dead. Waited 10 minutes, no call back

Posting my issue here to see if anyone else has had similar issue and also to get Cox's attention.  

Will try calling Cox again today or tomorrow.

57 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

The problem is Cox refuses to produce an app.  In the day of SmartTV sets and streamers, Cox is forcing us to wire an antiquated box in our houses.  My router, TV and Roku already have Internet connectivity; however, if I want to watch cable TV, I need to wire another device onto the connection.  An app can do this.  If you want cable TV, you need a box.  If you need a box, you need to rent it.  If you need to rent it, Cox gets more cha-ching.

bearone2
    Contributor III

you're using cox data whether ethernet/rj45 cable or wifi........wifi isn't a freebie!!

Tariq_K
      New Contributor II

Yes it is, according to Cox. For Cox TV, I am using Cox provided wifi streaming box because I don't have a cable outlet where my TV is. Cox confirmed when I first got this about a year ago (and since then) that using this wifi box for TV does not count towards my data usage. Same is true (according to Cox), for watching TV via Contour app on my mobile device.  

bearone2
        Contributor III

free data huh, what a dream!

i've been with cox for 20+ years, have always had some data cap. used to be 500, then bumper to 1024.

is mobile device using wifi or network data?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Cox didn't increase their data cap.  Cox uses "TB" (terabyte) to express data cap but technically it's a TiB (tebibyte).  Data Cap assumes storage.  A byte measures storage.  1 byte equals 8 bits.  If you do the math, it's 1.1 TB…or 1 TiB.  It's kinda in the weeds but I doubt Cox will charge you for less than 1.1 TB.

I've always understood watching regular TV programming with the Wireless 4K Stream Player does not count towards your data cap.  Here's a post of a moderator (Becky) distinguishing between data caps for regular TV content and streaming through the Contour streamer.

forums.cox.com/.../88794

Tariq_K
      New Contributor II

Wow! Thank you Bruce for your reply and the post link. 

@DustinP - Thoughts?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Cox also insists the Wireless 4K Stream Player must use Panoramic.  I assumed (again) Panoramic could therefore distinguish...and perhaps encapsulate...regular TV programs as "uncounted" Internet packets.

Another poster, however, claims the Stream Player works on a non-Panoramic modem/router.  He said he'd monitor his data cap but nothing yet.

forums.cox.com/.../panoramic-wifi-reach

bearone2
      Contributor III

i do almost everything with wifi, except this pc, which is hardwired.

[img]i.imgur.com/.../img]

swagby019
    New Contributor

It seems like it has almost doubled the usage amounts for everything in the past 4 months you used to be have unlimited with everyplan I was granfathered in but because I upgraded my net speed they said you lose your unlimited data plan they charge you for everything you need wifi for it makes no sense.