Forum Discussion

LF-Rio
New Contributor
3 years ago

When is the next Datacap Adjustment?

Though I am personally highly opposed to data cap limits (at least those not tied to time-of-day use or a fair and flexible tiered use charge based on each months individual usage, not an advance commitment) and will honestly leave Cox because of them if a viable alternative ever arises, I am curious if Cox plans to conduct a REGULAR review of the established data limits?  I recognize Cox updated its limit from 1TB to 1.25TB last July, but it would seem this should be an annual adjustment based on advancements in technology and a reassessment on average customer usage (like a reassessment every July 1).  Is there another review planned?

As an aside, I still do not understand why at minimum Cox does not eliminate pre-paid "Plans," and simply established a fixed fee (say the $10 currently charged for 50GB which is insanely out of proportion to Cox's other per GB charges) for 200GB thereafter up to a maximum of $50 a month (in other words, rolling increases based on actual usage THAT month).  That would encourage conservation of data, if that really and truly is a "concern" of Cox, and not just an excuse for extra unnecessary fees.

2 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Cox doesn't want people switching cable-TV for streaming, so they engineered a threshold to scare customers.  Cable-TV is expensive and Cox could nickle-and-dime you to death with streaming.  It's all about dollhairs.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Cox could call it COPLA:  Cost of Packet Lost Adjustment!