Forum Discussion

ExtraChrispy
Contributor III
2 years ago

What is... fiber?

As I regularly receive marketing emails for our office, I decided to sign in and explore offers available for our location and to my surprise, Fiber Internet is now being offered.... well maybe:

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Doesn't look like it based on the upload. HFC is not the same as fiber.

Darkatt
      Honored Contributor

Fiber doesn't have to by synchronous. 

ExtraChrispy
        Contributor III

OK, fair enough, I'll have to grab more screen shots.  When you go to order services on the business page, you get offered the Small Office/Home Office DOCSIS offerings or the Synchronous Fiber offerings which in the benefits section advertise better (synchronous) upload.  But when I go to choose that option I get offered the asynchronous DOCSIS offerings labeled as above.  I still think somebody somewhere is confused as how we're now being offered the fiber version of the DOCSIS plan we currently have despite Cox fiber not reaching our destination.

ExtraChrispy
      Contributor III

I see Cox marketing materials everywhere trying to capitalize on the term fiber in one form or another.  My favorite one I've seen recent is our 2GB fiber based Internet.  Reminds me of when I a 0.5m piece of  OM3 fiber patch cable to connect my old switch to the firewall.  At that time I guess you could say I had a fiber based LAN.