Forum Discussion

deanchat
Contributor
2 years ago

VERY low upload speeds for past few days

We have had very low upload speeds and intermittent stalling of downloads over the past few days (7/19 - 7/21-23) in the Hampton Roads. VA area (23320 zip).  Speed test results have varied from 40-220 (usually around 170) Mbps download but only  0.2 - 1.5 (usually around 0.4) Mbps upload, which makes many services unusable.  We are on a 250/10 plan.  Using an old Arris 6141, which seems to be working... getting +7db downstream power with 36 S/N, 40-43 db upstream power.  Are there known network issues in the Hampton Roads area?

Thanks,

Dean

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

BTW, I read your previous posts and saw you said you had a NIU on the side of your house? Is it still there? If so, get a technician out to remove it and replace it with a demarc enclosure box. See thread here for a simular issue, but it effected download and not upload.

deanchat
      Contributor

What is an NIU?  I have an entrance point box that was used for my prior copper land-line phone service (Verizon) and a smaller Cox cable entry point box, both on the side of my house.  Will read through that thread, thanks,

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Maybe I read your post wrong. Only glanced through it.

What is an NIU?

NIU is Network Interface Unit. It was for Cox's older circuit switch technology before they changed to eMTA for VOIP. See post here for more info.

a smaller Cox cable entry point box

Is that where your demarc is with your splitters to split the signal to other outlets in your house? Also, any problems with TV service like issues with OnDemand?

Overall I would suggest bypassing the router first and see if your upload speed returns. If not, try bypassing the splitters in your house with a coupler to see if that corrects the issue. If not, you need a technician.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Haven't heard anything about Hampton Roads. Have you tried connecting direct to the SB6141 and rebooting it? If that is fast, what model router do you have? FYI The SB6141 is only approved up to 100Mbps. Did you never get your SB8200 provisioned?

deanchat
      Contributor

I will try direct connection, thanks.  I use a Synology 2600 router.  Didn't know 6141 was only approved for 100Mbps, I have generally gotten 175/7 (down/up) with it.

I wanted to get a signal issue taken care of before pushing Cox to provision my 8200 (since I didn't want to give them something else to blame). Had a tech come and fix low signal issue, but then things got busy and provisioning the 8200 got put on the back burner (still on the to-do list, 8200 just sitting in the corner collecting dust).  Thanks for the reminder!

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        I have generally gotten 175/7 (down/up) with it.

Hmm, maybe you need a modem with more tuners for the full 250Mbps. Either way, upload is the problem, not download so probably not relevant.