Forum Discussion

dahoff75
New Contributor
27 days ago

Unstable Internet

My internet has been getting progressively worse over the past few months.  I had thought it was from the wifi router (which some of it was) and fixed that issue.  Imagine my surprise, when the rest of the household starts bugging me constantly about me making things worse... I have an internet speed test set up that runs on the hour and weirdly my internet seems to completely die at 5 AM every morning and slowly creep up to better speeds by about 20 Mbps an hour for four hours and then range anywhere from 600 to 900 for the rest of the day.  The upload is usually very stable at 130 but some days it will drop to 20 during the 5 AM drop.

After doing a deep dive into learning as much as I can about what might be causing the issues:

1. Checked all the connections and made sure they are tight and secure
  2. Took off a splitter that was no longer needed near the supply line cable
  3. Checked the modem's logs and found lots and lots of notices (not good)
  4. Checked the Cable Connection page of the modem and found the power and signal were at acceptable numbers, but the correctables/uncorrectables were quite high.
  5. Took the cable modem outside and attached it directly to the supply line cable (the only thing extra was an attenuator pad). Still high uncorrectables and errors in the log with an unstable internet.
  6. Took off the attenuator pad and the power numbers were all over the place and out of spec (and terrible internet)

Here are my numbers currently with the attenuator pad in place and the cable modem back inside the house (the logs sometimes contain a critical error too and I can't remember what it was as sometimes it is pushed out of the visible logs by all the notices):

• Hi, there. It does seem like you've done all you can do to eliminate your residence. I'm really sorry about the issues you've had with your service and I'd like to help. Please email us the physical address and any other pertinent information to Cox.Help@cox.com with your name and a copy of this forum message. We really want to get you fixed.