Forum Discussion

azolivas
New Contributor III
5 years ago

Suspicious activity ?

Received the suspicious activity email stating password needs to be changed because of detected malware .  Followed the protocol and checked my account notifications per the email and there is nothing there.  Scanned my desktop nothing there.  Checked my cox email and nothing there.  The only email I received from cox  was from my yahoo account and even though it also included my cox email it was not there as well.  Chalking it up to a cox data breach.  

17 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I agree it's a phishing attempt, but the offender could have got your address from anywhere...including from somebody's address book on Yahoo.

Kudos for your suspicion!

bearone2
    Contributor III

i doubt phishing, unless a link was provided because you can only change the pw within email/settings......

are you able to get into the account?

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Link or no link, it's suspicious for Cox to have sent instructions to a Yahoo account.

bearone2
        Contributor III

not if cox email is backup for yahoo, like i use.

for lost yahoo pw, i can get a text message or cox email.

• If ever in question, it is a safe practice to login to our site directly and change your password to ensure security. If needed, Cox Security Suite Plus is offered at no additional charge to Cox Internet customers. To download the software for free, visit www.cox.com/securitysuite to sign in to My Account with your primary User ID and Password.