Forum Discussion

Darius
New Contributor III
2 years ago

Scheduled Outage

For the first time, I received advanced notice of a scheduled outage to my service. It's on 2/27. Hooray!

But 2/27 is a Monday, which is a day when I, along with most people I know, will be planning to get work done. When I was a systems programmer on a mainframe computer, we always scheduled major, planned outages for Sunday mornings from 00:00 to 08:00. Why doesn't Cox do something similar?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Probably when they could schedule the work force required for the job. Did the email/notification have any code at the end that says N+0? 

Darius
      New Contributor III

No. It does not.

In fact, the evidence contradicts your explanation. Cox also put a hang tag on our mailbox. The tag has only two pre-printed time slots: morning and afternoon. It also says outages usually last less than four hours. Dividing 24 hours in a day by 4 yields six possible time slots. But apparently Cox does not want to pay overtime or take other steps less likely to inconvenience end users.

For example, Cox could monitor total traffic in a neighborhood and then select a 4-hour slot when traffic is minimal.

The fact that the hang tag has only two preprinted time slots speaks volumes about whose convenience Cox values most. 

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

When Cox schedules work during the day, it's because they have to perform that particular repair during daylight hours. Cox Always tries to schedule work overnight whenever possible to disrupt the fewest number of people possible. Sometimes however, the work has to be done during the say. It has nothing to do with paying overtime, since they have people working around the clock, and the fact that you haven't considered these facts speaks volumes about YOUR consideration of their requirements.