Forum Discussion

denim1969
New Contributor
2 months ago

Replacing Cox Pano Router CGM4981

Hello!  I am new to Cox fiber internet (just two days in :) ) and am going to keep their (fiber) modem but replace their router (CGM4981) with the "Cox "approved TP-Link AXE300 (As an aside I received a Great price on the tplink - $399.99 - a bestbuy match to amazon.)   My question relates to:

There is an older thread on this forum that says in part: 

" .... The only thing I can think of is you won't be able to use things like wireless TV boxes or Homelife without the Panoramic gateway ....."   

Does "TV boxes" in the above refer to Fire TV (both cube and stick) as well as Amazon Echo and Google Nest products?  If so and if the TP-Link AXE300 would not be able to link to them why would Cox have it on their approved list?

Most likely I am just confused as I am new to both Cox and fiber, but I truly cannot think of any reason why the TP-Link router would not work with any Wi-Fi devices that are in your home. 

Any insights will be most welcome!

PS:  The primary reason that I am replacing the Cox router is that I have their 2 gig speed plan and Cox does not have a router with 2 gig out. They do have one 2 gig WAN/LAN port and that must be used for the ethernet connection to their fiber modem.  There are also three 1 gig ports. (I spoke with Tech Support on two different calls to confirm this.)   I could use Wi-Fi to connect to my (1) desktop but for various reasons I want to hardwire (ethernet jack) it and not use Wi-Fi.

Thank you!

Rick 

No RepliesBe the first to reply