Forum Discussion

mulberry
New Contributor
6 years ago

Packet loss making Black Desert Online unplayable

Several customers of Cox Internet services have been experiencing extreme lag in the game Black Desert Online (BDO) since Friday 12/7, at times making the game completely unplayable.

Other than when BDO servers themselves were getting DDOSed, my husband and I have had no issues all year until Friday. BDO is the majority of what we use our Internet connection for, so this is a major interruption of service for us.

Here is a thread about the issues: community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

A Cox Technician came out to our house today because that was the only way Customer Support could escalate the ticket. The Technician confirmed my home connection is fine. We're both on wired connections. Discord, streams, and other games work fine. The issue is before we get to the game server 49.236.159.226, on a hop between Cox and Level3.net. According to WinMTR, for me the packet loss starts at the hop from nyrkbprj01-ae3.0.rd.ny.cox.net (68.1.5.157) to lag-22.ear2.NewYork1.Level3.net (4.35.90.1).

Since I'm a customer of Cox and not Level3, I'm posting here, in hopes that someone can get this to the right people to resolve this issue.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    sskinner
    New Contributor

Having the same issues when playing Black Desert Online! After looking at my WinMTR logs, the BDO support team told me that my ping and latency were equivalent to what they would expect to see from someone playing in Australia! Just as the user above me reported, all of my other internet use was unaffected--I can stream netflix, play other games that connect to the internet, and browse, all without any lag. When I run connection speed tests, everything comes back as normal. Apparently the WinMTR logs show that this is not the case for when I am running BDO.

Please resolve this issue which seems to be affecting may BDO players, and seemingly only those who have Cox as their isp.

ChrisL
      Former Moderator
      @Sskinner

Can you post the data you've obtained so far so we may take a look?

-Chris
    MoonBunny
    New Contributor

Also having the same issue with the same hop starting at on the same day. My issues are only with the connection to BDO NA servers. My download and upload speeds are normal. Hopefully Cox will look into this and resolve the issues.

ChrisL
      Former Moderator
      @MoonBunny

If you have any troubleshooting data you've obtained please post it here so we may investigate further.

-Chris
  • Hi Eastern Games,

We can have this investigated but we will need you to run a traceroutes, if possible with a hard-wired connection when it appears to be working correctly and then run another traceroute when you're experiencing issues. Post both of the entire traceroutes here so we can escalate.

Maria L.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      mulberry
      New Contributor

The lag issues we'd experienced for 6 days was gone today. WinMTR is also showing 0% loss on all visible hops. Thank you to whoever fixed it!