Forum Discussion

no_other_option
New Contributor II
13 days ago

Network Management & Testing again

It seems there has still not been a solid explanation given for why people's "Network Management & Testing" category of usage is so high. 

Beginning in July (2024), I have begun experiencing the problem. Gone down the rabbit hole with Cox tech support and changed wife password, restarted devices, etc. Seen an improvement since, but still not satisfactory as I have been monitoring daily usage (all the Cox Wifi app will allow) as well as personal usage around home and not seeing consistent usage reports based on usage I have observed. 

It is very peculiar to me, that after having the same Cox service for 3.5 years and working from home, I have never gotten close to the limit. Our family usage habits have not drastically changed, either.

June 6 - July 25 cycle usage graph shows Network Mgmt & Testing at 6%. July 26 - Aug 25 cycle shows Network Mgmt & Testing at 40%, and the current cycle (Aug 26 - Sept 25) shows NM&T at 54%, with days until the end of cycle.

I have not yet replaced the Cox-supplied Panoramic wifi gateway. I am in the process of evaluating options for this, next.

Challenge to Cox personnel and advocates:  If this is not the result of Cox equipment's own internal network testing, whereby leaving the customer on the hook for the overage, prove it!

June 6, 2024 - July 25, 2024 cycle: 

July 26, 2024 - Aug 25, 2024 cycle:

Current Aug 26, 2024 - Sept 25, 2024 cycle: 

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

Network management and testing for a cable modem involves a number of tasks, including: 

1. Monitoring: Regularly check the network for potential issues, such as bandwidth usage, error rates, and device temperatures 

2. Troubleshooting: Identify and resolve issues with the network 

3. Updating: Install the latest software and firmware updates 

4. Security: Ensure that only authorized users have access to the network and that data is protected 
    Testing: Test the cable modem to see if there are any issues 

Do you run speedtests. Same thing,  network management and testing.

no_other_option
    New Contributor II

Is it customary to leave the customer paying for all of this, when it results in overages?

Is is assumed that this data is buried deeply enough to mask it when it drives overages?

ChrisJ2

Hi, there. I'm so sorry for the discrepancy with your data usage. I want to help. Please email us the physical address and any other pertinent information to Cox.Help@cox.com with your name and a copy of this forum message. We're eager to look into this for you to help determine the actual traffic type. 

no_other_option
    New Contributor II

Adding this. This is a graph I created based on (overall) daily usage numbers dating back to 7/26/2024.

I do not understand how this can be construed as normal. I do not have a graph to show as proof, because I didn't think I needed it, but for 3.5 years I have never exceeded 1.25 TB / 1280 GB. Nor have I once ever received a notification that I have used over 50% of my data.

I should note my usage patterns:  I work from home, so there is 1 variable, the workplace VPN. This has been constant, however, for the past 3.5 years. We have 1 personal Windows laptop that gets minimal use, mostly used for web browsing and email. I have an Android table that gets minimal use. We have 2 Fire TV Sticks and an LG Smart TV - All have been in place since at least the first of this year, nothing abnormal to report. I have 2 daughters who each have Chromebooks from school, and those get minimal connectivity at home. They also have a cell phone, a laptop, and an iPad. Again, minimal usage that does not account for consuming 1280 GB in 30 days.

no_other_option
    New Contributor II

Okay, thanks to the help of ChrisJ2 and Cox network engineers, it has been determined the Network Mgmt & Testing data overages are driven by "VPN-encrypted traffic" beginning on 7/29/2024.

I work from home and are required to use Cisco AnyConnect VPN installed on my work laptop to connect to the company network. I also use a work-supplied iPhone and due to poor cell service at my house, I connect it to my home wifi and use wifi calling. This mobile phone would also be using a VPN of some sort.

It is not yet determined which device is at the root of driving the overage, if not both, but I have opened a ticket with my employer's tech support teams to investigate any VPN configuration changes. 

Hopefully I can post the results here when it is complete, or I have been completely blown off my the company altogether. Either way, I will post it here.

Darkatt
      Honored Contributor

Thank you for the update, It helps that I can add vpn traffic and wifi calling to the list of things that can drive network and testing traffic, and maybe use that info to help others. 

I think you will find the VPN traffic uses more data than the WiFi calling, as I also use wifi calling at home, and my network and testing traffic is minimal. 

no_other_option
    New Contributor II

Beyond frustrating...

Resolution notes from my company's network team: This is beyond the scope of troubleshooting for the Remote Access VPN team... nothing was changed in our configuration that would cause this spike in traffic.