Forum Discussion

ddubness
New Contributor
4 years ago

Netgear R6300v2 firmware update

I have a COX-supplied Netgear R6300v2 router with firmware V1.0.3.62_10.0.94COX. There have been several firmware updates since this version, but none made available from COX. With the recent severe security vulnerabilities announced by Netgear (https://kb.netgear.com/000061982/Security-Advisory-for-Multiple-Vulnerabilities-on-Some-Routers-Mobile-Routers-Modems-Gateways-and-Extenders), it is imperative that the firmware be updated ASAP. I am unable to install the latest firmware obtained from Netgear's website, because the custom COX firmware prevents such an action. I contacted Netgear support and they told me the ISP-specific firmware loaded on the device will not allow a Netgear firmware - it can only be supplanted by another version of ISP-specific firmware. I contacted COX support via chat, and they told me Netgear has to support it. There are at least three other posts here on COX support forums and several posts on Netgear's forums with the same situation - Netgear points to the ISP and the ISP points to Netgear. Meanwhile, the customer is vulnerable to a remote attack and data theft. Must I resort to purchasing a new router?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • @Ddubness, We no longer offer the Netgear R6300 and we do recommend our gateway specifically designed for our wifi app and service. Alternatively, you can use a third party dual band router. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      ddubness
      New Contributor

If it matters, this is for the gigablast service with a fiber gateway. Does COX have a version of the firmware that will load and remove the restrictions on the router?

ChrisL
        Former Moderator
        It probably need to be clarified that the router we issued is not an actual Netgear R6300 but rather a proprietary device manufactured by Netgear which is similar to the R6300 but the same device. The firmwares listed on the Netgear site only apply to retail products.

-Chris