Forum Discussion

cupojo
New Contributor II
4 years ago

need a better connection in 1 room

I have a Arris SBG8300 DOCSIS® 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem.

Everything works great, but 1 room in the house gets bad Wifi.

What are my options?

I do not want to switch over to Cox Panoramic with a Pod. Unless the consensus here says its worth it?

Should i just invest in a mesh network? If so, can you give me some brands/models that are highly recommended? Thanks.

cupojo
    New Contributor II

Thanks for the replies.

I've read all the cox suggestions.

I have nothing running to that room. Of course, i 'could' run cable over there, but i want a wifi solution.

Any more suggestions?

• If you need wifi to reach that room, you need to consider the size of your house, the placement of your main router, the construction material of your walls and floors, etc. Wifi signal strength is highly variable based on these factors. It would be easier to provide advice if some of these factors were described. Also, what is your current router make and model? 

cupojo
    New Contributor II

I have a Arris SBG8300 DOCSIS® 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem.

Single story house. Router is in Bedroom 1, the problem room is on the other side of the house, 4 walls between that room and the router. thanks.

Superbigwaff
      Contributor

How far away in feet would say the room is from the router? Wifi signals are broadcast over channels. Have you tried changing the channel to a different one? If you live in a dense residential neighborhood, you may have to manually select a broadcast channel to avoid interference from your neighbors' wifi signals.  

cupojo
        New Contributor II

the room is about 50 feet away. i ran some tests on different channels, but it was no better. i can stand right outside that room in the hallway and get good speeds, and when i step into that room it gets worse, and then when i close the door, its even worse again