Forum Discussion

inaros
New Contributor
3 years ago

Issues getting the full speed for the gigablast

Am not getting the full speed and intermittent speed and experiencing lag in games have cax80

8 Replies

gdwall
    New Contributor II

I'm having the same problem, I can't get over 450 on my gigablast connection.  Tried The whole home and have tried their standard modem with my own router.  No change.  So I know it's not me, it's not my hardware and not their hardware.  It's the service.

But my problem is I'm afraid to drop below that service, as I would expect to get about 1/2 of it as well.  Might as well be on DSL instead of cable.

it's been this way for over a year, and all they say is a year old post that they are working on it.  I have to think they aren't, they don't care; they think we won't leave for another.  Once I get anything else in my neighborhood; I'm dropping COX like a cheap date.

My PC is hooked in via ethernet and my laptop uses WiFi, same issue. regardless of connection.

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      Hi @Gdwall
      I completely understand the frustration of having an inconsistent internet signal and you definitely deserve reliability. I checked your area and our engineers are aware of and tracking the issues in your area. We know this can be frustrating but our engineers are working quickly to provide the best possible experience. You can get further information about the outage using the Cox app or this link www.cox.com/.../outages.html . You can also send us an email at cox.help@cox.com for further inquiries.

Ben S.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
      alsotrevor
      New Contributor

I'm not on gigablast, but I've been trying to research if anyone gets the connection speed they pay for. I'm on 500mbps and get around half that at best (250+). If you pay for "gigablast" and get around 450mbps then that's nonsense. If my plan actually provided ~400+mbps I'd feel pretty confident upgrading. *This is with CAT7 ethernet cables directly tied to my PC.

Dave9
        Contributor III

I get the speed I pay for. 940 down and 35 up. But only after several tech visits to correct multiple problems with the Cox network.

Alden
    New Contributor

I am having the same issue is whether having come into signing a two-year contract for their giga blast. It's actual speeds is running right now something between 70 Mbps to 110 Mbps, the highest of everything it has been about 170 Mbps. I think they got me on a bait and switch because I was paying $91.83 for their preferred 150 if I would lock into a two-year contract at the same price. What they didn't tell me was that the preferred 150 had been reduced to $53.99. At the time they supposedly installed a giga blast I inquired as to whether or not they didn't need to change the modem. Was assured that the one I had was what was required and all they had to do was throw a switch or something and am good to go. In cruising through their blog now I see they say that a panoramic Wi-Fi gateway for an additional $12 per month or something like that is the recommended equipment. We used to have spectrum and occasionally would have some issues but nothing even close to this.

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hello Alden,

I completely understand your frustration and how much the service is devalued when not working properly. I'm here to help. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
  • What you have in your home does not matter If the lines, transmission equipment, web sites, services, businesses providing the signals to your house can't handle the speed of the services you are paying for by the time it gets to your home. Also consider how many devices are being concurrently being used  and for what at the time on your home network which affects total bandwidth being used.  Unfortunate but the truth.  That's why if you read between the lines from many ISPs it says "up to".  They do not provide a solid guarantee.      

• I pay for gigablast (940mpbs down) and max out at 140 Mbps down for the last month now. All wired, all reset, technician already came out, network updated yesterday, still 140 down. Afternoon zoom calls start to break up as my kids get on the internet. Looking for other options in Mesa, AZ.