Forum Discussion

KristenKerensky
New Contributor II
5 years ago
Solved

Internet jittery and broken for days... Again

Internet is currently showing between 0.5 and 2% packet loss, all up and down the line, at all times and has been this bad since Tuesday.  We don't want too call customer service because it will probably initiate another year-long battle where Cox's bureaucracy sends out a tech who refuses to do any checking beyond insisting that it must be our equipment, rinse, repeat, until finally someone who happens to be willing to listen comes out, reports that the main line is damaged, and it finally gets fixed.  The last time this happened it took well over a YEAR before it was finally fixed (And, big shock, our equipment was working fine).

This is beyond exasperating, we need a clean line to do our jobs, which involves livestreaming, and can't be done even remotely decently with service this poor.

Maintain the lines.

Do not delete this post like you have in the past.  I am not breaking any rules.

KevinM2
    5 years ago
    Hi Kristen, thank you for reaching out in the Cox forums, and we apologize for having caused anger or frustration. The reason we request customers to bypass their wireless routers is that traceroute results can differ between the two devices (modem and router). I have pinged your modem several times, and I am detecting slight intermittent packet loss (around 2%). At this time, sending out a service technician is the best course of action that will lead us to a resolution. For additional support, please don't hesitate to reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @KristenKerensky

Are you able to bypass the router and hardwired directly to the modem and run another test?

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator
      KristenKerensky
      New Contributor II

It becomes incredibly frustrating being asked to try the same things over and over again as though the results will be different.  This is a recurring problem in the area, and bypassing the router will show  the same thing as each time we've done so for Cox support in the past.  Humor me here, assume it's the main line that's the problem, since we're in a poor neighborhood where the lines aren't maintained, and where we've had to fight with technicians for months at a time to get anything done.

It appears clear right at the moment btw, I'm hoping that by some miracle something got fixed, but I'm not holding my breath.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

If you know your neighbors, you might ask them if they are having the same issues.  If they are, ask them to contact Cox too.  Cox will probably be more likely to dispatch a line technician to check the main line if they receive multiple complaints from the same area.