Forum Discussion

Dennis12
New Contributor
4 years ago

Horrible Ping Spikes

Hello,

I would like to keep this short, but I have had great internet after I upgraded my plan to 150 Mbps up until the beginning of January. Since January it has been horrible. I have disconnected several times from my zoom meetings/ classes and when I try to play games at 3-9 p.m. its been basically unplayable. I ran speed tests and they looked fine. Than I pinged google on cmd prompt and it was really inconsistent. I will have the screenshots below. I ran this continuously for about 2000 packets and I did this for about 4 days in a row. Is there any fix to this? Thanks in advance.

https://gyazo.com/ce2896504f11313ff20503af2b89e53f

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      TaintedTrust
      New Contributor

At least you have internet, day 3 without service here in Mesa

Allan
        @TaintedTrust, That does not sound good at all and we want to help. Please send us an email with your full name and address to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      brandon94
      New Contributor
      1. Same here, i have gigablast and it was awesome when i moved in. Now it’s VERY inconsistent. My xbox is hardwired into my router as well! 
        JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @Brandon94

Are you having this issue on any other devices?

Jonathan J
        Cox Moderator

Kalebkk890
    New Contributor III

I have been battling Cox on these issues for just under a year now since COVID started. The problem is nearly all of their nodes that your modem is directly connected to are well over 100% utilization which causes incredible packet loss and spikes. The internet speeds usually aren't effected but the latency and packet loss is definitely noticeable. There are two things you can do and that is to file an FCC complaint about the packet loss and you will be able to talk to their actual engineers who are "diligently" working to split these nodes to help with saturation. They will probably give you some date that is months and months away when your node will be fixed and they get away with this without even a slap on the wrist because they have a "plan" to fix it. The ISP monopoly has been a travesty for years and COVID has only made it much worse and noticeable. The second thing you can do is go to https://fairshake.com/ to ask for a settlement to reduce your bills or pay you back for their service they aren't able to reliably provide. Don't take the first offer because it will be very low for what they actually deserve from this country wide failure.