Forum Discussion

JustWondering20
New Contributor
2 years ago

Error message that keeps showing up on my fire tv and regular smart TV. Join "CoxWiFi." Why am I seeing this page? Your request has been identified as potentially malicious, and access has been blocked.

I've had this error message happen to me multiple times and COX tech support thought that it was due to my Fire TV and Fire stick Smart TV, however I have been having this error message long before I had any Fire TV or Fire stick.

I've changed out the modem to an upgraded unit and the problem still exists. 

I've been on the phone with COX and they thought it was the Fire TV and Fire stick. When I told them how far back this problem was they are now still trying to fix it. The problem is that I can not use my internet nor my TV even if I put an Antenna back on EITHER TV until this is cleared.

Right now COX is on the phone with Amazon to see if Amazon can reset the Fire TV and Fire stick equipment. I really didn't want to reset the Fire TV, because it has a lot of items that I have saved. Anyway, if you have any knowledge of this message, please let me know as soon as you know anything. 

8 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Are you connecting to the CoxWifi network(SSID)? That is Cox's hotspot and not your normal Wi-Fi network. If so, try connecting to your normal Wifi and disable the hotspot. See here for instructions.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'm unsure why FireTV assumes Cox is your provider...it is your provider but how would Fire know?

It's not an error message because the TV needs Internet access to activate.  It's weird.  You have to activate a TV before using it...even with just an antenna.

Can you get into the setting for the TV?

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

...unless you've already activated your FireTV but this message keeps popping up to activate again.  This would be a bug because its losing its activation with Amazon.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Your post makes no sense. Your ability, or inability to connect to a WiFi SSID has no bearing on the use of an Antenna. 

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

He says that there are TWO tv's the FireTV and a SmartTV. The link you provided addresses someone that has a FireTV only. The SMART TV should be able to use the antenna without issue. 

Additionally, the poster says this has happened a couple of times, which would indicate that the TV has worked previously. Not sure if they mean BOTH tv's one or the other. But based on the tenor of the message, it would indicate that at one time or another, BOTH tv's were working, and to have fire stick or fire tv, it would ALSO indicate that they have internet. 

SO, I stay with my original post, in that the question makes no sense. The TV's would HAVE to have been setup, they required internet to use internet functions, BUT they should be able to use an antenna without internet. I just tested both my hisense, AND my samsung, both can access antenna tv with internet down, AND the hisense has a amazon firestick 4k plugged into it.