Forum Discussion

2muchtv
New Contributor
2 years ago

Dial-up modems and Cox home phone

Correct to assume that a dial-up modem (analog) would not work with Cox home phone service (digital)? Story too long to explain why I'm asking 

Devastatia
    New Contributor

I used 300 - 1200 baud modems on an older Cox cable/internet/phone modem. The new modems don't even support pulse (rotary) dialing.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

It's worth a try. I know fax machines work with Cox home phone(VOIP) and I can't imagine a dial up modem would be much different. Just set it to a low speed like 28 or 33Kb and turn off error correction.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

BTW If you wouldn't mind sharing the story, we would love to hear. We are all geeks here. ðŸ˜„

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

No need to set speed or error checking because the dial-up wouldn't have anything to negotiate speed or error check with.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

I assumed OP had a dial up connection they were going to call into. Wouldn't that have equipment that could negotiate such things? My experience with dial up is only my AOL days when I was a kid.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Yes, a dial-up modem will work on the wiring within your house because the Cox telephone modem converts the digital signal to analog.

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

dial up modems will work just fine. Digital phone service means it's digital to the device that converts it to analog signal for telephone service. You can use a fax or dial up modem without issue. I have a U.S. Robotics Dual Standard HST connected running A.C.I.D. (Audio Caller ID), it announces all calls I receive through my computer speakers. Works just fine.