Forum Discussion

Biker6238
New Contributor II
3 months ago
Solved

Cox hotspot

Is Cox able to run their CoxWifi public hotspot 24/7 only if you have the Cox Panoramic Wifi Gateway, or are they able to do that regardless of the router you have if you are running wifi at all?  I have realized that even with the router in bridge mode, their public wifi hotspot is still running in my home off my router 24/7.  Changing my profile to disable the guest wifi did not work.  Putting the router in bridge mode to "turn off" my wifi and the guest wifi did not work.  Do I need to hardwire everything via ethernet and give up wifi entirely to get this to stop?  Or does a different type of router and separate modem solve the problem?

• Purchasing your own Modem and Router will end your CoxWiFi public hotspot.
    I actually have a Cox provided eMTA because I have Cox Home Phone. It is a Modem only, I use my own Router and the Cox eMTA I have, does not provide a CoxWiFi hotspot.
    My eMTA is an Arris TM3402A: https://www.cox.com/residential/support/arris-tm3402.html

As long as you have some networking experience or are willing to learn, Purchasing your own Modem and Router is the way to go.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

Purchasing your own Modem and Router will end your CoxWiFi public hotspot.
    I actually have a Cox provided eMTA because I have Cox Home Phone. It is a Modem only, I use my own Router and the Cox eMTA I have, does not provide a CoxWiFi hotspot.
    My eMTA is an Arris TM3402A: https://www.cox.com/residential/support/arris-tm3402.html

As long as you have some networking experience or are willing to learn, Purchasing your own Modem and Router is the way to go.

• Hello, I would be happy to help answer any questions or concerns. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address and a copy of your post at Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!